Cool preamps from the past.

newmaxnew

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

This is why i freaking LOVE this place. i am in process of swapping preamps and this thread was a perfect read, gave me lots of good ideas.

i am really digging what i am reading and hearing about the Groove Tubes Trio. whats a fair price? there is one on ebay right now, 750 opening bid, 850 buy it now. fair??

I would hold out, dude.

I got a MINT brownface with the footswitch for $610 during the gear boom when gear prices were high.

I would def stay under $700 shipped.

• Members

In my shred days the SS preamplifier to beat:
Boss GL-100 guitar line driver
Then I upgraded to:
Hughes & Kettner Attax preamplifier w MIDI
Then I found an Ricktron ProGAP via Daddy's Junkie Music used gear by mail.
About two months later I got to swap a gutiar for a Mesa TriAxis 2.0
Then I was in what used to be a music store when a guy opened his new shop.
He found a Rocktron ProGAP Ultra new in box in a closet while cleaning and sold it to me for $120.
Those are the ones I owned worth mentioning that have not been so far.
The Ultra was a really good preamplifier and actually rivaled the Mesa. It was the first preamplifier I came across to feature modeling concepts including three different rectifier emulations.

• Members

I like it, but I would sell it back to you since I don't play it very often. It's not fair to the unit.

You game? $215 again?
:lol:

Nah, I don't think I'll be doing the rack rig thing again. I really like having just a floorboard unit (pod hd) and a small amp/combo. Makes things much simpler for me.

• Members
i used to rock one of these things:

tubedriver-1.jpg

wasn't bad- just got sick of carrying it around as another piece of gear when the pedal is as effective and needs 2 less cables.

i liked the boost and the contour on it though-- helped dial stuff in-- but in the end the tube driver pedal sounded better to me.

exact same experience for me, you wouldn't think the pedal would sound better but it does. I found the bias knob to be useless.

Archived