Help me choose: Carvin V3, Bugera 333XL, Bugera 6262 or Egnater Renegade

^zilla^

• Members

I've been shopping for a new amp for what seems like years.

Some of the ones that i've tried:

Marshall TSL

Boogie Mk 5

Mesa triple rectifier

Rivera Venus 5

JCA 20

Bogner Alchemist

Engl Powerball II

Egnater Renegade

So far, my short list is the Egnater and the Rivera. I'd like to keep my options open and after reading and hearing about the Carvin V3 (the blue LED backlighting makes you play faster!) and the two Bugeras, I'd like to be able to compare them to the Egnator and Rivera.

My ideal amp will be 50 watts or less (or have a half power switch on it - check for the egnator, rivera, and V3)

The amp will be used at home at bedroom levels 99% of the time, so it's got to have good tone at low volumes. I know that this has been a major concern with the carvin where people say the tone sucks at bedroom levels, but others say that those people who complain don't know how to set up the amp properly.

The clean tone on the Rivera is *unbelievable* - best clean that i've ever heard.

Has anyone had any experience with more than one of these amps? Does the clean tone on the carvin or the bugeras compare to the rivera? How do the bugeras sound at bedroom level? I saw mtuck5150's youtube review on the 6262 and I, like him, live in a townhouse. Unfortunately, i don't think that my sound insulation between units is anywhere as good as his and my neighbors would lynch me if I was playing loud like that :(

Thanks

Tim

• Members

I love my Renegade.... you can get some decent low volume tones but it REALLY shines when the master hits about the 10-11 O'Clock area IMO... I also find all the wattage switch does is darken up things, no volume change or change in how it breaks up IMO.

• Members

Why would you even
think
about a Triple Rectifier if you're looking for an amp that's 50 watts or less?

You know that Mesa makes lower-wattage versions of that amp, right?

because I'm trying everything that my music store has to offer so i might not pass up a great amp just because it's 100 watts or more.

tone: i'd love a rivera-like clean tone. I play mostly hard rock/metal, not so much the ultra high gain death metal stuff or detuned stuff.

• Members

That Rivera Venus was one of the best sounding small amps I've ever heard and had the privilage of playing through. If it wasn't out of my price range I'd of bought it on the spot. Talk about an amazing clean, just wow...

If you're only playing in your bedroom 99% if the time, and can afford it, there you go...buy that. Can't believe you kept looking after playing that?

Powerball II is a pretty cool amp but overpriced in the States and 100 watts. Not exactly "bedroom" material there. Do yourself a favor and just pass on the Bugera stuff.

• Members

because I'm trying everything that my music store has to offer so i might not pass up a great amp just because it's 100 watts or more.

tone: i'd love a rivera-like clean tone. I play mostly hard rock/metal, not so much the ultra high gain death metal stuff or detuned stuff.

Yeah, I totally mis-read your original post.

I thought that the list you posted was the amps you were looking to buy, not the ones that you've tried in the past.

From my experience, the Carvin V3 doesn't have great cleans.

They're usable, but kinda average sounding.

The Bugera 6262 doesn't have a clean channel at all - it's a 5150II copy.

The other amps, I can't really vouch for.

• Members

I love my Renegade.... you can get some decent low volume tones but it REALLY shines when the master hits about the 10-11 O'Clock area IMO... I also find all the wattage switch does is darken up things, no volume change or change in how it breaks up IMO.

Nice guitar. Whatisit?

• Members

What is your budget?

IMO, If you are looking at a bugera 333xl or a 6262, you should be looking at used peavey jsx and 5150II/6505+, since those are what they are based off of. The used prices for those amps are VERY reasonable, and the amps are known for being built like tanks. Definitely take either of those above the V3 too, especially if you are looking for something good at low volumes. The JSX is awesome at low volumes and at band volumes.

• Members

budget: not really worrying about that right now. I just want the best bang for the buck.

What i do have a problem with is paying serious coin just to get a Boogie or whatever badge on the amp and it doesn't sound better than a $600 made in china amp.

• Members

budget: not really worrying about that right now. I just want the best bang for the buck.

What i do have a problem with is paying serious coin just to get a Boogie or whatever badge on the amp and it doesn't sound better than a $600 made in china amp.

You shouldnt have a problem finding a jsx or 5150 used for 700 or less.

Archived