where do you place a clean boost in fx loop chain?

Acshreds

• Members

I keep a clean boost pedal in my FX loop chain to make me louder during solos. Ive always kept it first thing in the chain before the modulation and time based effects, but noticed when i turn on my delay it doesnt have the same louder effect as it does with the delay off. is it better to have it as the last thing in the chain? or after mod but before time based?

• Members

I keep a clean boost pedal in my FX loop chain to make me louder during solos. Ive always kept it first thing in the chain before the modulation and time based effects, but noticed when i turn on my delay it doesnt have the same louder effect as it does with the delay off. is it better to have it as the last thing in the chain? or after mod but before time based?

Last in the chain of an FX Loop.

Putting it before any other FX will simply overdrive them which you don't want.

Putting it before the amp is pointless for volume boost if you use the preamp for overdrive, you'll just get even more overdrive.

• Members

Last in the chain of an FX Loop.

Putting it before any other FX will simply overdrive them which you don't want.

Putting it before the amp is pointless for volume boost if you use the preamp for overdrive, you'll just get even more overdrive.

I use a BB Preamp as a booster for solos in front of my amp and I can get quite a significant volume boost even with the gain knob turned all the way down.

• Members

I use a BB Preamp as a booster for solos in front of my amp and I can get quite a significant volume boost even with the gain knob turned all the way down.

Whats your setup?

In theory, if you hit an overdriven preamp with a hotter signal you just get more gain and very little, if any, volume increase however, I've heard of a few other people (very few) that do that with good results. Obviously, it must work better with certain amps, certain pedals, and with certain amounts of the amps preamp gain. Also, in some cases it could be the particular boost pedal puts out more of a cutting EQ to make it stand out a bit.

• Members

Whats your setup?

In theory, if you hit an overdriven preamp with a hotter signal you just get more gain and very little, if any, volume increase however, I've heard of a few other people (very few) that do that with good results. Obviously, it must work better with certain amps, certain pedals, and with certain amounts of the amps preamp gain. Also, in some cases it could be the particular boost pedal puts out more of a cutting EQ to make it stand out a bit.

I'm running the BB into the front end of a Legacy.

• Members

You're obviously not using amplifier distortion in that case.

• Members

in the minds of your bandmates to know when your solos are so they can play quieter. totally noise free, and has amazing battery life.

My bandmates can't get this {censored}ing point through their head. Even with my boost, they have no clue, they just keep asking me to find a louder boost or use a volume pedal. I WILL NOT USE A VOLUME PEDAL. Cant find one that doesn't suck tone, and Im not spending a mint to get one.

• Members

I have no experience as I use my boost in front of my amp to increase preamp overdrive... But if I had to guess I'd say you want it last if your intention is to increase volume across the board.

Have you tried your boost in front of your amp with everything else in the loop? It works well for me.

• Members

I have no experience as I use my boost in front of my amp to increase preamp overdrive... But if I had to guess I'd say you want it last if your intention is to increase volume across the board.

Have you tried your boost in front of your amp with everything else in the loop? It works well for me.

What works well? Increase in preamp overdrive or increase in volume.

Archived