Dr. Z Route 66

rog951

• Members

So I'm buying an old Rt 66. I know I'm a little late to the party but anybody here got one? I wanted to play around with an EF86 and a good deal popped up on this thing. I'm new to teh KT66s too. School me plz.

:wave:

• Members

Great amp for smooth gain, or loud thick rich cleans. It doesn't get too gainy, and what you get is thick, similar to a 6l6 but the KT66 is just warm. Imagine a real ice cream milk shake, that's the sort of overdrive you get.

Did I mention loud? Ayup, it is. Start with tone controls at noon, because as you go farther you add gain, sort of like the old Prosonics.

• Members

^^^^^

That all sounds sweet to me! Thanks!

BTW, the amp arrived yesterday and the chassis had been bent under the weight of the power tranny. Not sure if it happened in transit of if it was like that before (seller's pix make it tough to see) but it definitely took a hard hit at some point. Also, there was a star washer rattling around inside the chassis! :mad: UPS certainly didn't do that.

Anyway, I pulled the chassis to remove the debris, inspected everything and it looked okay...fired it up at 2:30AM and at least made sure it worked. Now that everyone's awake, I'm about to go downstairs now and crank it...wish me luck!

• Members
heya rog! nice amp choice!

have nothin to add.. i like my z..
:D
. that's about it.

Doood...I had it dimed this morning at about 8:30AM. Did you hear/feel it up thar in Fredneck? It may have manifested itself as another earthquake...{censored} this {censored}ing thing is loud. Not just loud, but really touch sensitive...I could get almost 100% clean by just picking lightly...didn't even turn down the gtr. The amp, dimed, prompts you to play the intro to "Drop Dead Legs." That's what it sounds like.

What Z model do you have? I'm afraid this thing might not hide my mistakes enuff! :facepalm:

• Members
EF86 = Win.... i have a custom amp with an EF86 going in to 4 EL34s for the clean channel... it just has this sweet compressed thickness to it.. I love it..

Yes. Thick like a milkshake. :love:

EL-34s are still my favorite output tube, so I bet I'd really dig your amp.

Archived