Marshall TSL

Tubes In a Hat

• Members

As some of you may know, I've been trying to get rid of my spam for a decent, versatile head with 3 or more channels, loop, and what not.

What can you tell me about the TSL? I've heard good and bad from and about the JCM2000s, but I might be trading my guitar for a TSL and I need some help deciding. I've heard some pretty decent sounds out of these things... what do you guys think?

• Members

I have a DOD 250 clone that could take care of that for me... no problems related to reliability or anything of that nature?

I tried different boosts out front, clean boosts and eq in the loop, but the way the loop is designed you can't get more volume out of it.

• Members

Yeah, that's kind of what I've come to expect from Marshall. I played a Vintage Modern that I loved and a JVM that I absolutely hated. I've played 4 different DSL's in my time and two sounded really nice, one sounded like garbage, and another one made no sound at all.

• Members

I have a TSL100, I like it alright, I really like the clean channel its quite nice and can get close to Fender sounding with the mid boost. The clean takes pedals well. I really like the crunch channel, set for midgain with an overdrive to get really dirty it's almost 800ish. The lead is not so great but useable.

You can use the loop as a boost be inserting a cable in the return but not the send. In this way the loop level controls cut the straight signal as you turn them up. When you bypass the loop you get a volume boost. Using an EQ in the loop as a boost you would need to set the loop full wet before any volume change was noticeable.

I really have the gas for a Plexi reissue though. I need the loop because I use rack preamps alot.

• Members

ive owned and gigged a TSL100 for around 2 years.

got good things and bad things to say

good -

3 channels, clean crunch and lead with seperate eq

2 fx loops

footswitchable fx loop

bad

slight volume swell/lag when changing channel

pain to bias

crappy footswitch construction/cable plug design

FWIW

Cleans are ok (ive owned better marshalls) crunch channel is good (liked it with ghte gain low and volume cranked right up)

lead is ok for leads, not so much for metal rhythm (unless you stick and eq in the loop)

only reliability issues i had were power tube related. i found it a pain to bias as there is 2 pots to adjust so was hard to get them matched.

• Members

the only way the JCM2000 amps sound good is when they're modded. They're pretty mediocre stock. You should get your amp to Jerry or Trace and have some mods done. Don't bother adding features (like boosts and stuff), go with their Standard mods that improve the overall sound.

We mod these amps over here and this is the kinda tone we get in Drop B using huge ass 13-60s:

[YOUTUBE]iHUUXp33kqI[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

TSL 60 is {censored}e.

The TSL100 is the best of the range

The DSL100 is a second, but a damn good second (I've owned both multiple times)

The DSL50 is worth a punt, not a bad amp. But I prefer the headroom on the 100w models.

Don't bother with the combos.

• Members

TSL 100 with fresh SED Winged C EL34's = :love::love::love::love:

Whoever said they are hard to bias is an absolute {censored}ing idiot. Compared to what?

I love the {censored} out of my TSL. I just popped some fresh tubes in it and it's sounding better than my JVM to me.

The Caveat, I put a Mercury Magnetics Output Tranny in mine. Made the amp way better. The way it supposed to sound IMO.

• Members

Yeah I've only had the chance to play a TSL once in person and it was with a pretty cheap ibanez in a GC in Florida with the volume just loud enough to hear it... obviously I was not impressed :facepalm:

But I like ::fred::'s clip, and I've heard clips that I really liked, and that I really didn't like. Here's a clip that I liked :)

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

• Members

Whoever said they are hard to bias is an absolute {censored}ing idiot. Compared to what?

I love the {censored} out of my TSL. I just popped some fresh tubes in it and it's sounding better than my JVM to me.

re-read what i posted i didnt say it was hard...but it was a pain.

RE the 3 prong on the back...left for left 2 tubes and right for the other 2 tubes.

I loved the {censored} out of my TSL when i owned it too(isnt this common with whatever amps you own) but after playing some other marshalls...pffft

6100(LE) > TSL

• Members

I had a TSL 60 and a DSL 100, both heads. Red channels are nearly identical. They are surprisingly similar to a 5150; buzzy, fizzy, on the loose side. The green channel on the DSL owns the green and yellow channels on the TSL. The DSL green is basically an 800. The loop on the TSL killed it for me. Its parallel and will not go 100% wet. The loop on the DSL is serial and I liked it a lot. Id like to try the TSL 100 as its features look like the best of both worlds.

That sounds great if it were solid state. My Peavey Supreme sounds nearly identical to that. :facepalm:

Archived