So whos had any luck quitting drinking?

cginest

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I was having an issue with it pretty hardcore about 5 years ago. No good advice from me except to stop doing it. I just decided not to touch it and then did everything possible not to. Now I'll have a few occasionally and everything's been all right. Good luck.

• Members

zakk wylde stopped. just stopped.

thats how you do it, if you want to quit doing something, just stop doing it.

and dont {censored}ing say {censored}, anything you say is an excuse. excuses dont produce results.

Not always that simple. That's good for Zakk, but if you're seriously a hardcore alcoholic, going cold turkey can kill you, literally.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcohol_withdrawal

I've been in withdrawal from benzodiazepenes a couple of times in my life, which is very similar to alcohol withdrawal, and it's easily the worst feeling that I've ever experienced. Good luck OP; my best advice is to go find a clinic and/or support group etc, people who have been through what you're going through and can support you both in making the right decisions and in keeping your spirits up so you can make it through it.

• Members

not me.

i havent posted on this forum in a while.

im an alcoholic. given up on god.

i even have whiskey in my hand as i type this. :facepalm:

i drink everyday. morning and night :facepalm:'

lost my job last month because i refused to go to work so i could stay home and drink :facepalm:

i dont care about anything/anyone anymore and fine with that :thu:

• Members

Not always that simple. That's good for Zakk, but if you're seriously a hardcore alcoholic, going cold turkey can kill you, literally.

I've been in withdrawal from benzodiazepenes a couple of times in my life, which is very similar to alcohol withdrawal, and it's easily the worst feeling that I've ever experienced. Good luck OP; my best advice is to go find a clinic and/or support group etc, people who have been through what you're going through and can support you both in making the right decisions and in keeping your spirits up so you can make it through it.

hangovers, withdrawal and death are gods way of saying you {censored}ed up.

• Members

I was never an alcoholic, but I ingested an abnormal amount of booze during college years.

I totally quit about 5 months ago and never had a single drop since then. Occasionally I get an urge for an unfiltered european beer, just cause I love and miss its taste, but these have been rare recently.

I can say that your friends and surrounding have a lot to do with it. I had to stay at home for about 2 months cause I was getting ready for my phd. No meetings with friends, no parties. When I was done I met my friends at a bar and while they were celebrating my return, I basically told them to {censored} off in terms of booze consumption. They were like.. "teh {censored}?" But they grew over it and it's all good now. They've actually started drinking less when we hang out.

My mind feels a lot clearer now, btw. Alcohol is a truly harmful drug.

• Members

Alcohol in moderation is totally 100% fine. As with anything.

I drink 4-6 beers a weekend, and that's it. I had an EXTREMELY tough time quitting the ganj though...The first 2 weeks were literally hell. It isn't a physical addiction, but there is most certainly a mental addiction, i don't care what anyone says. I was the kind of guy who would smoke when I woke up, smoke on the way to school, smoke in between classes, smoke on the way to work, during work, and on the way home from work. Then the evening would be smoking more :lol: I typically smoked an ounce a week :facepalm: I love it though, and never once did it hinder me in anyway...I still was social, excelled in school and excelled at my job...I just knew it was time to quit.

I know there is a huge difference between booze and ganj, but my point is, whatever it is you have a habit with, it's going to be tough to kick. Stand strong man, and just keep telling yourself you're better off without it.

If only I could follow my own advice and quit smoking these damn cigs :cry:

• Members

You absolutely can put down the booze. I probably would not be alive today if I'd kept it up. In 1997-98, I hit rock bottom. Phoned AA one day, completely at the end of my rope. Every day is a little step. It helps to have other people to talk to, who are making that attempt. You don't have to turn into a meeting zombie/addict. I went when I needed to, and in time was able to fly on my own. Haven't had a drop of alcohol in 12+ years.

There is hope.

• Members

Any sane person has to realize what an impedance drinking is to successful life and work. This is one problem I cant seem to resolve on my own.

Whos got some legitimate advice?

If your a hardcore alcoholic like thinkpad said, get help.

I quit that {censored} years ago and love being sober. I just woke up the next day and said I'm not touching it. Very seldom do I have a beer/drink and if I do it's usually at family gatherings. With that said, sometimes I have to turn down my craving for a Pacifico.

If you have the cravings, exercise instead or eat something healthy.

• Members

Any sane person has to realize what an impedance drinking is to successful life and work. This is one problem I cant seem to resolve on my own.

Whos got some legitimate advice?

You have to REALLY 100% HONASTLY want to quit, other wise you never will.

Thats the only thing that worked for me.

that and pot.

• Members

This. A lot of people can, in theory, quit cold turkey. Then there are people like my dad whose organs shut down from a lack of alcohol. Do what you need to in order to quit. There's no shame in needing help.

Archived