HCAF, Please Recommend My Next Book

Slim Jim

• Members

Just finished reading "A Heart Shaped Box," which was a sweet read.

Also finished the series "Girl with the Dragon Tattoo."

So, I ask for all you to recommend me something new.

I usually read Peter Benchley (Jaws, The Beast), Robin Cook (Contagion, The Year of the Intern). Those types of novels.

I had read Meg which was a take on if the megaladon shark survived but was so disgusted by the ending I threw the book out my dorm window.

I did also enjoy "I Hope They Serve Beer in Hell."

Thanks fellas.

• Members

I just finished this:

3525-1.jpg

Now I'm starting on 'Surely You're Joking Mr. Feynman' coincidentally.

I made it halfway through Surely You're Joking Mr Feynman, but it got monotonous. The guy's smarter than everyone else in the room, very funny, with a quirky sense of humor. He is very insightful too, but there's just a little too much bloviation for my taste.

On the other hand, I cannot recommend this autobiography enough, even if you don't like his music his insights into the music industry and life in general are just incredible.

Real_frank_zappa_book_front.jpg

This is also a great read.

roosevelt.jpg

As is this...

1491%20Mann.jpg

this...

%7B78765C5E-ADF9-494D-8F78-47CBD4B7702F%

and if you've never read it...

TheTalisman.jpg

• Members

Oh hell, can't forget this. If you've never read it then make sure it's the next book you read. If you approach it with an open heart and mind it will alter your beliefs like nothing you've ever found. It has allowed me to leave the need for an all powerful deity or eternal life in my past, and look at the universe as what it is, a beautiful complex interdependent system that is of itself, and needs no other reality, no heaven or hell, to give it worth, meaning, or reason.

taoteching-1.jpg

• Members

I definitely agree that Zappa's autobiography is amazing. I've read it twice. I also highly recommend Miles Davis's autobiography. It's really fascinating to read how he sees music and why he made the choices he made when he made them musically.

A few of my favorite non-music books (maybe not your thing, but I enjoy em):

Thus Spoke Zarathustra by Nietzsche

The Brothers Karamazov by Dostoevsky

The Undiscovered Self by Carl Jung

The Last Temptation of Christ by Kazantzakis

Archived