Gain switch (JCA100H) vid

Duesentrieb

• Members

This is the same sort of problem that zach has with the titan. It has the clean/crunch switch for the rhythm channel of the amp but there's a huge volume increase going from clean to crunch setting.

It would seem by adding all the extra stuff Olaf is talking about you would really end up with a three channel amp in the case the 100H / Titan, and a two channel amp in the case of the 20 watters.. More modding than I would want to try..

By draining signal off before the preamp, I guess it is like turning down the volume pot on the guitar, except with Olaf's mod, it's a lot more controlled with an exact value being drained..

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Well, he should be able to solve that, add another volume (and also a gain pot) and switch from VTL-switching (if he should use them) to relays . . .

. . . and then make it at least double eq-ed or three eq-ed and then add a better loop and then add midi (or at least a more sophisticated switching matrix) and so on . . .

Thats pretty much "my evolution" of building amps, I've started with SLO-clones and did exactly that.

I've noticed today that he already has a 3 channel amp running and you've played the proto last year or so . . . :thu:

• Members
I've noticed today that he already has a 3 channel amp running and you've played the proto last year or so . . .
:thu:

yep it looks similar in layout to your preamp. it's voice is virtually the same as his 2 channel amp but the medium gain channel sounds like taking the clean channel, flipping the switch to crunch mode and giving it a little more gain.

• Members

LOL.. Did you add a third channel?

Thats in the making, Steve. I've changed values and stuff for the crunch and lead, now it will get a real add. channel, I have to wait for the right pots though, I need to take the board apart, cut some underboard connections and so on . . .

• Members
yep it looks similar in layout to your preamp. it's voice is virtually the same as his 2 channel amp but the medium gain channel sounds like taking the clean channel, flipping the switch to crunch mode and giving it a little more gain.

I've experimented a lot with layouts over the years (2 years ago) until I've finally found a good, noise-free PTP layout, a good loop and a good working switching circuitry . . . this was the result

gretelfinal1.JPG

It is housed in a former Einstein-proto, with the wooden headshell and an empty Einstein chassis, has three full channels, Deluxe-Reverb clean, a meaty crunch and (now, I've changed it) a 5 gainstages 3rd channel, two loops and so on . . .

gretelinnen.JPG
here you can see the three tonestacks for the channels and some relais . . .

The preamp came after that, but its the same layout and so on . . .

• Members
I've experimented a lot with layouts over the years (2 years ago) until I've finally found a good, noise-free PTP layout, a good loop and a good working switching circuitry . . . this was the result

gretelfinal1.JPG

It is housed in a former Einstein-proto, with the wooden headshell and an empty Einstein chassis, has three full channels, Deluxe-Reverb clean, a meaty crunch and (now, I've changed it) a 5 gainstages 3rd channel, two loops and so on . . .

gretelinnen.JPG
here you can see the three tonestacks for the channels and some relais . . .

The preamp came after that, but its the same layout and so on . . .

Beautiful... put it in a headshell, sell for $1500 and rake in the $$$.

Archived