Favorite KT88 ?

Crunchtime

• Members

Ruby's are hard to beat for the money. However, I too really like the SED's and I also think JJ makes a great KT88. I did some comparison with KT88's and 6550's in my Nitro not too long ago and this is what my ears heard...

JJ KT88's-Sound great. Smooth and a bit more compressed in comparison to SED and Ruby

SED KT88's-Love 'em. Crunchy, tons of clarity and very open. Downside-pricey...

Ruby KT88's-Great. Less crunch in comparison to the SED and brighter and less clarity in comparison to the JJ or the SED. Lot's of bite though.

Svetlana 6550's-I love these. Maybe a bit too mushy though. They make the Nitro thick. The Nitro is more open and organic with Kt88's though.

SED 6550's-Nice! Crunchy and thick with tons of clarity when strumming heavily distorted chords.

• Members

Ruby's are hard to beat for the money. However, I too really like the SED's and I also think JJ makes a great KT88. I did some comparison with KT88's and 6550's in my Nitro not too long ago and this is what my ears heard...

JJ KT88's-Sound great. Smooth and a bit more compressed in comparison to SED and Ruby

SED KT88's-Love 'em. Crunchy, tons of clarity and very open. Downside-pricey...

Ruby KT88's-Great. Less crunch in comparison to the SED and brighter and less clarity in comparison to the JJ or the SED. Lot's of bite though.

Svetlana 6550's-I love these. Maybe a bit too mushy though. They make the Nitro thick. The Nitro is more open and organic with Kt88's though.

SED 6550's-Nice! Crunchy and thick with tons of clarity when strumming heavily distorted chords.

Thanks Laura.

I seem to recall you had a 50 watt Chimera. Did you try KT88 or 6550 tubes in it? Was there a huge difference from EL34's? Also, does Valvequeen take paypal?

thanks

• Members

Thanks Laura.

I seem to recall you had a 50 watt Chimera. Did you try KT88 or 6550 tubes in it? Was there a huge difference from EL34's? Also, does Valvequeen take paypal?

thanks

I did have a 50 watt Chimera. I tried quite a few different power tubes in it and I liked 6550's and KT88's best. The amp opened up quite a bit and had more headroom with those. It gave it a bit more saturation too. However, you have to decide what you like best. My friend, who did my graphics, tried KT88's in his Bogner and decided he liked EL34's better because they were less modern sounding to his ears.

BTW-yeah, I take paypal. :thu:

• Members

What are Gold Lions like? Is the price really worth it? I only here "they are good" from people who bought them but no one ever goes into any more detail than that.

Well, my story is I bought my Deliverance (brand new) and the stock Sovtek KT's literally lasted maybe two weeks before one of them lost vacuum. I contacted VHT and they were gonna send me a new pair in exchange for the old ones.

It literally took almost two months before I ever got the tubes from them, so in the meantime I played my Legacy and eventually got annoyed enough and just bought a pair of the Gold Lions so I could actually play my new {censored}in' amp lol.

So I really can't comment on what they do for tone or anything like that because I don't really have much to compare em to. I just know the amp sounds damned good and has been rockin hard for over two years with lots of gigs and no hiccups.

I think they were worth it :)

Archived