Post your Pit bulls

abecon5

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
No no.. Pits are the most mild mannered dogs out there! There is no such thing as inherent breed characteristics as it relates to temperament!

I`m Norwegian and drunk, so I`m a little unsure if this is irony? :lol:
If it is, it`s great (contradiction), if not, it`s also great (contradiction)!!!!!!one!11!

• Members
Bulldogs were bred for field work
:facepalm:
Terriers are inherently more aggressive. Bulldogs however are not. At all.

Eh?

"History

Painting of a bulldog from 1790 by Philip Reinagle.

The term "bulldog" was first mentioned in literature around 1500, the oldest spelling of the word being Bondogge and Bolddogge. The first reference to the word with the modern spelling is dated 1631 or 1632 in a letter by a man named Preswick Eaton where he writes: "procuer mee two good Bulldoggs, and let them be sent by ye first shipp".[10] The name "bull" was applied because of the dog's use in the sport of bull baiting. The original Bulldog had to be very ferocious and so savage and courageous as to be almost insensitive to pain. In 1835 dog fighting as a sport became illegal in England. Therefore, the Old English Bulldog had outlived his usefulness in England and his days were numbered in England. However, emigrants did have a use for such dogs in the New World, resulting in the original Bulldog's closest descendant, the American Bulldog. Back in England, they proceeded to eliminate the undesirable 'fierce' characteristics and to preserve and accentuate the finer qualities. Within a few generations, the English Bulldog became one of the finest physical specimens, minus its original viciousness, stamina, strength, speed, and intelligence.

In the 17th century, bulldogs were used for bullbaiting (as well as bearbaiting)

• Members

Saying that pit bulls are "inherently aggressive" is making an incredibly wide generalization. It's basically like saying that african people were well adapted to chase antelopes in the savannah, therefore black people are inherently fast. There are SO many other factors that lead an individual dog to be inherently aggressive, just like there are so many other factors that lead an individual human to being fast.

• Members
Did you guys know that Dachshunds are the most aggressive dog breed? This has been your CSB for the day.

An old colleague of mine told me about his grandpa`s dachs.
It chased a badger down a hole. The badger kicked its ass twice right out of the hole, but the third time, the dachs chased the badger :D

• Members

Saying that pit bulls are "inherently aggressive" is making an incredibly wide generalization. It's basically like saying that african people were well adapted to chase antelopes in the savannah, therefore black people are inherently fast. There are SO many other factors that lead an individual dog to be inherently aggressive, just like there are so many other factors that lead an individual human to being fast.

Bulldogs were more specialized than "africans" in the first place.

They, and terriers were bred for use, not cuddling. Dogs aren`t humans.

They were bred to do the jobs that humans didn`t dare to do, or because of physical traits, couldn`t.

Africans didn`t neuter or perform euthanasia on slow runners. A "polite" bulldog puppy became food for its siblings in the 17th century.

But what the hell.

Keep on telling yourself what you need, and I`ll do the same.

It doesn`t make a difference anyway. My kids will never live under the same roof as a pit. No matter what happens. (Unless I die, that is)

• Members

Breeds can be inherently more aggressive. That doesnt necessarily mean that a particular individual will be though. You are right to say that other environmental factors play a large roll in the behavioral makeup of an individual dog. If a pit is raised in a calm loving home it will be less likely to be aggressive but still more likely than a Golden Retriever thats been raised in the same manner. Anyone that argues that pits in general arent more inherently aggressive dont know what they are talking about. Thats what they were bred for.

• Members
I've read somewhere that pit bulls aren't necessarily very aggressive, it's just by nature they want to protect and please their owners. They will do anything to please their owners.

In all seriousness, I`m ready to believe that a pit raised by a responsible person, is as good a dog as any. The problem is that 99% of the world`s pit AREN`T. We have some neighbors (I don`t know them, but they`re your typical young couple with different values than mine....yet). They have a black-ish pit-type dog. Let`s just say I have a reason for taking one of these every time we go for a walk/play in the forest.5-4.jpg

Me and this guy:
45528_475985622456_715822456_6915748_696
were in the forest, and I was sitting down, telling him about the different berries and what not to eat. All of a sudden, the neighbour bitch comes walking on a path, and the dog freaks out. My adrenaline starts pumping, because I didn`t even bring a pocket knife. I place myself in front of the lil one, and ask her if she`s got the dog under control, or should we walk away?

She replies that she`s got it under control, and proves for every meter she drags the mutt that she DOESN`T.

Nowadays, the axe and Sami knife are staple parts of any forest walk, and if that mutt aggressively comes anywhere near my kids, or any of the other kids in the neighbourhood, I`m going to skin it alive, and eat it.

• Members

No but seriously, the desire to please their owners is the derivative of their aggressive behavior. Maybe I phrased it badly.

I think I got it.

Lots of idiots with other problems get a pit to solve some of them.

That "problem-solving" is helping the bad reputation of pitbulls, but it`s not directly related to the specific dog. It might be a gentle dog that is ruined by the wrong master. Something like that?

• Members

.....and this is the thing should post instead of looking like a doofus just saying "bull{censored}". :wave:

• Members
were in the forest, and I was sitting down, telling him about the different berries and what not to eat. All of a sudden, the neighbour bitch comes walking on a path, and the dog freaks out. My adrenaline starts pumping, because I didn`t even bring a pocket knife. I place myself in front of the lil one, and ask her if she`s got the dog under control, or should we walk away?

She replies that she`s got it under control, and proves for every meter she drags the mutt that she DOESN`T.

Nowadays, the axe and Sami knife are staple parts of any forest walk, and if that mutt aggressively comes anywhere near my kids, or any of the other kids in the neighbourhood, I`m going to skin it alive, and eat it.

True. Properly raising a pitbull takes:

1. A very firm owner. Always make it known that you are Alpha. The dog can never feel like you fear it, or that it can do whatever it wants. Most people do not believe in physical punishment, but in a Pitbull situation (where the pitbull has the proper pitbull temperament), establishing Alpha domination needs physical reinforcement. Don't beat it endlessly with a stick, you will only make it more aggressive (scared). But learn to force it to the ground and make it feel dominated. There is a technique where you grab it by the neck, and force it to the ground so it lays helpless on its side. This is not painful to the dog, simply an act of domination. I use it when introducing her to new dogs where she tries to bite them. Its quite the job :lol::facepalm:

2. Attention, lots of it. You have to spend time with the thing, take it out as much as possible and socialize it from a tender age - with people and especially other dogs. I have found that my APBT (American Pit bull Terrier) has become quite socialized with humans over time. Now she is very good around people, but we are still having a hard time keeping her from climbing on guests and licking them senseless :lol:. Also, she gets along with dogs to a certain degree, but we keep the muzzle on at all times.

3. Know your APBT: Each dog will have its limits and you should know every limit they have. Mine is other female dogs, and any other dog that are dominating. She will try to establish her dominance and I have not yet tested to what extent she will go to do so, and I never will. I have the feeling she would hurt another dog. So in my case, I keep the muzzle on at all times and keep a close eye on if she starts intimidating other dogs in the park. However, she is very very good with children. I still make sure she is calm around the house when there are guests. If she seems nervous, I take her to her room for a while to get used to the new smells of the guests.

There is alot more to it, and several books on how to raise a APBT. I think that people should be licensed to breed pitbulls and there should be special applications to fill out for people who wish to purchase one. Each APBT should come with a course on how to train it IMO. Otherwise, you are getting one for the wrong reasons.

-D

• Members
I think I got it.

Lots of idiots with other problems get a pit to solve some of them.

That "problem-solving" is helping the bad reputation of pitbulls, but it`s not directly related to the specific dog. It might be a gentle dog that is ruined by the wrong master. Something like that?

Well maybe yes, maybe no.

The dog thinks he is doing a good thing for his owner by being aggressive. I think I got all of this from the Michael Vick pit bull ordeal lol :facepalm:. They were showing a segment about rescued pit bulls and explaining their behavior.

Archived