PETERS GRYPHON & HALO CLIPS > Test of various cabs and speakers...

firejack018

• Members

Hello Gents,

The g12k-100's was in a marshall mode four cab (oversize) not "mg" :)

They sounded really good in the room too but somehow with the angle the zoom recorder was in it came out more distant sounding than the other cabs but i did like it in person.

My faves are the 2 mesa cabs. Fwiw the traditional (smaller) mesa 4x12 was more on axis to the zoom recorder than the other cabs so just take that in mind.

Ideally we wouldve recorded them close mic'd in as similar positions as we could set up or at least mark out a square and swap all cabs into that square so that the zoom recorder stayed in the same position relative to the cab.... but we didnt have loads of time. Next time!

I do think we got a fair representation out of all the cabs' in the room sound and proved that the gryphon can sound good through loads of different cabs (unlike a lot of other amps).

My mark V hung very well and actually was in similar territory gain wise, at least how we dialed it in, with the gryphon having the ability to go a bit further into that full-on saturated territory. It is worth noting that the mark V had all stock tubes and was set to triode (the smaller sounding setting on channel3) for a lot of the demo, and that Firejack's Peters had a cocktail of tubes he had settled on after experimenting a little bit. But i doubt there is any way channel 3 on the mark V would ever sound as big as the gryphon. Channel 2 crunch mode on the Mark V stays tighter with the bass control up and thus sounds bigger than channel 3 (both using the same graphic eq settings)....in my experience.... but the gain needs to be dimed on ch 2 to be able to compete with ch 3 gain wise.

Heres a mini review of the Peters Gryphon channel:

The depth and damping control on the Peters amp makes it extremely versatile and I could achieve virtually the exact feel and response I was looking for. The eq is responsive and really hard to make it sound "bad". It sounds like James Peters really nailed the tonestack frequencies on the eq's (at least to my tastes). Turning up the bass knob never got muddy, just kept sounding bigger and bigger..... insane! The amp was a bit darker than im used to with the mark V but i believe it is mostly due to preamp and power amp tube choices (set up for Firejack's tastes and his speaker cabs).

Great, great amp! Would love to hear some other power tubes in there too because from what i can tell from the Peters website they can take almost anything!

The halo clean channel is also up there with the best clean sounds ive ever played, fuller sounding than the mark V clean and easier to play. The mark V possibly being a little more touch sensitive but i have no idea how much that is attributed to tube differences (EL34 Peters vs 6L6 Mark V).

Imho you cannot go wrong with a Peters amp (at least this one, hehe)

Cheers

• Members

Damn man, I wish there was a possibility of me buying that amp from you lol. Every one of those clips was killer!! I think the mesa OS is on top for me, followed by the MG. I bet k100s in the mesa OS would absolutely {censored} worlds up man!! Ive tried V30s and k100s in the same cab, and preferred k100s by far.

Cheers Raf. :)

It really is hard to make the Gryphon sound bad.

It sounded great through all the cabs.

And yeah I'd have to agree.

Those K100's have a huge lowend.

In that OS Mesa cab, they would swallow souls.

• Members

Hello Gents,

The g12k-100's was in a marshall mode four cab (oversize) not "mg"
:)

They sounded really good in the room too but somehow with the angle the zoom recorder was in it came out more distant sounding than the other cabs but i did like it in person.

My faves are the 2 mesa cabs. Fwiw the traditional (smaller) mesa 4x12 was more on axis to the zoom recorder than the other cabs so just take that in mind.

Ideally we wouldve recorded them close mic'd in as similar positions as we could set up or at least mark out a square and swap all cabs into that square so that the zoom recorder stayed in the same position relative to the cab.... but we didnt have loads of time. Next time!

I do think we got a fair representation out of all the cabs' in the room sound and proved that the gryphon can sound good through loads of different cabs (unlike a lot of other amps).

My mark V hung very well and actually was in similar territory gain wise, at least how we dialed it in, with the gryphon having the ability to go a bit further into that full-on saturated territory. It is worth noting that the mark V had all stock tubes and was set to triode (the smaller sounding setting on channel3) for a lot of the demo, and that Firejack's Peters had a cocktail of tubes he had settled on after experimenting a little bit. But i doubt there is any way channel 3 on the mark V would ever sound as big as the gryphon. Channel 2 crunch mode on the Mark V stays tighter with the bass control up and thus sounds bigger than channel 3 (both using the same graphic eq settings)....in my experience.... but the gain needs to be dimed on ch 2 to be able to compete with ch 3 gain wise.

Heres a mini review of the Peters Gryphon channel:

The depth and damping control on the Peters amp makes it extremely versatile and I could achieve virtually the exact feel and response I was looking for. The eq is responsive and really hard to make it sound "bad". It sounds like James Peters really nailed the tonestack frequencies on the eq's (at least to my tastes). Turning up the bass knob never got muddy, just kept sounding bigger and bigger..... insane! The amp was a bit darker than im used to with the mark V but i believe it is mostly due to preamp and power amp tube choices (set up for Firejack's tastes and his speaker cabs).

Great, great amp! Would love to hear some other power tubes in there too because from what i can tell from the Peters website they can take almost anything!

The halo clean channel is also up there with the best clean sounds ive ever played, fuller sounding than the mark V clean and easier to play. The mark V possibly being a little more touch sensitive but i have no idea how much that is attributed to tube differences (EL34 Peters vs 6L6 Mark V).

Imho you cannot go wrong with a Peters amp (at least this one, hehe)

Cheers

Ooops soz mate.

I was rushing to complete the thread before I had to go to work.

Also hadn't slept for 48 hours, hence the shaky memory. :facepalm:

Thanks for clarifying mang. :thu:

Great descriptions too.

You have a great ear for tone, and you have a knack for describing it as well.

BTW looks like we'll be able to make it this Friday to your gig. :)

• Members

Wow, my computer crapped out on me and now I'm sad I can't hear these.

So you dropped the Peters bomb and decided to tell people? It's going to look cool as hell. I spoke to James about it.

I got my Peters shirt and hat yesterday as well as my Hydra back from upgrades. As previously stated, my computer is down, so no clips. :cry:

I have more pictures to take of all the guitars in my basement I'm babysitting and get the pleasure of playing. I own one Gibson SG and have 3 in my possession. It's quite a treat.

• Members

Wow, my computer crapped out on me and now I'm sad I can't hear these.

So you dropped the Peters bomb and decided to tell people? It's going to look cool as hell. I spoke to James about it.

I got my Peters shirt and hat yesterday as well as my Hydra back from upgrades. As previously stated, my computer is down, so no clips.
:cry:

I have more pictures to take of all the guitars in my basement I'm babysitting and get the pleasure of playing. I own one Gibson SG and have 3 in my possession. It's quite a treat.

:lol::thu:

Yeah I'm going with black piping this time to match my cabs.

What upgrades did your Hydra get?

• Members

I KNEW there was no way in hell you of all people would go with anything but a Peters!
:p

Ya gettin' another Gryphon this time, or what?

Haha! :thu:

Yeah I have to go Peters custom shop to get a Gryphon in a smaller headshell.

My current Gryphon just misses out on fitting in my car by a couple inches.

That's with the family and all my other gear loaded up.

• Members

Haha!
:thu:

Yeah I have to go Peters custom shop to get a Gryphon in a smaller headshell.

My current Gryphon just misses out on fitting in my car by a couple inches.

That's with the family and all my other gear loaded up.

Sometimes you need an extra couple inches. :cop:

I'm just getting upgrades to be with the current model spec. It's essentially just changing how the edge switch works so that when it's engaged, it's got more edge and disengaged is equal to the old "engaged." Pretty simple really. I need to get a multi-meter so I can give her a go tonight.

Half-stack and Full-stack in stereo in about 5 hours.

• Members

Sometimes you need an extra couple inches.
:cop:

I'm just getting upgrades to be with the current model spec. It's essentially just changing how the edge switch works so that when it's engaged, it's got more edge and disengaged is equal to the old "engaged." Pretty simple really. I need to get a multi-meter so I can give her a go tonight.

Half-stack and Full-stack in stereo in about 5 hours.

Gotchya. :thu:

Archived