I need more BRUTAL! How's this pedal?

Barber Surgeon

• Members

I posted about this in the Effects board last week, but apparently they don't like TEH METALZ :rawk: enough for me to elicit a response, so on to you guys!

The pedal:

Seymour Duncan SFX-04 Twin Tube Mayhem

I play fairly aggressive death metal, and am currently running through amp distortion on a Carvin V3 that needs a little more snarl. I've heard this pedal likened to an ENGL pre-, but I never know how much to believe from reviews that compare a pedal to a high-end amp. Either way, I'd probably run it in front of the chain then beef it up more with amp gain.

I'm also pretty sold on using tube technology vs. a digital pedal. I've tried several of the common ones, even the expensive ones, and I'm not really a fan of the trebly fizzle they impose on the sound. I like more meat in my distortion.

Anyone try this? Any other recommendations you think might work for me? I'll be happy to respond to any esoteric tone-terminology questions so we can figure out what works.

Thanks for your help.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I don't think I am understanding how you could not be getting enough gain/snarl/mean from a v3. Are you 100% certain there is nothing wrong with it? That amp is like a gain factory.

Yes, in fact, I've barely played it due to being in school the last four years. I'll finally get a chance to spend more quality time with it when I get home permanently in December. It's not inexperience with the controls, though. I do a lot of mixing/engineering and I'm okay with dialing the knobs. Changing to 6L6s will probably do the trick. That's a good tip with the JJ, too, so I'll make that adjustment as well. I just need something nastier than the current setup is delivering. I won't even think of replacing the amp right now. I play a lot of styles even though it's primarily DM, and the V3 handles virtually everything else perfectly. Just need a bit more umph right now for the nasty.

• Members

Grab a bad monkey and boost it, and even an EQ pedal in the loop, this will obliterate the tone of any dirt pedal into a clean channel.

Definitely not a fan of this pedal. I don't even like the $150 Digitechs. Their stuff is fine if you're going for a processed "right off the CD" sound, but I like my distortion to be thick, disgusting, and analogue.

• Members

Definitely not a fan of this pedal. I don't even like the $150 Digitechs. Their stuff is fine if you're going for a processed "right off the CD" sound, but I like my distortion to be thick, disgusting, and analogue.

Sure, but dont knock a boost until you try it. Try something a little more expensive if you must but its one of thise things that are hard not to use after doing it for a while.

• Members

Sure, but dont knock a boost until you try it. Try something a little more expensive if you must but its one of thise things that are hard not to use after doing it for a while.

• Members

I hated boosts for the longest time, but I tried a few with my 5150 head, and they just work well with that amp. The hardwire overdrive and an old ibanez pedal that Laura let me borrow were the best. Ive heard a lot of great things from the boss sd-1 pedal or whatever that yellow overdrive pedal is too. If you set it up right, a boost can make an amp sound a lot nastier.

Of course, it could be that you just dont like the V3 any more. If you need nasty distortion, its hard to beat a 5150.

• Members

I hated boosts for the longest time, but I tried a few with my 5150 head, and they just work well with that amp. The hardwire overdrive and an old ibanez pedal that Laura let me borrow were the best. Ive heard a lot of great things from the boss sd-1 pedal or whatever that yellow overdrive pedal is too. If you set it up right, a boost can make an amp sound a lot nastier.

Of course, it could be that you just dont like the V3 any more. If you need nasty distortion, its hard to beat a 5150.

I've got a Boss OD-3 -- don't know if that's the one you're talking about. I could be I haven't figured that one out completely, but I found it gave a pretty nasally tone to my sound no matter how I twisted the knobs. I tried the Hardwire and wasn't impressed.

I should probably clarify that the amp really doesn't do that badly. I'd still readily gig with it as is. I'm just looking into a little customization to tailor it even more to my taste.

• Members

How loud are you playing the amp? With my 5150, volume was a HUGE factor...the amp just doesnt sound good at lower volumes. My experience with older carvin amps that Ive had is the same. The larger power sections need to be pushed for the sound to fill out.

• Members

I usually set the actual channel volume pretty high, with the master section lower. It's enough to be heard two floors up, but I push it and rattle the house occasionally. Sometimes I'll set it to 50w mode to see if it's easier to push half the tubes, but it doesn't make a big difference.

Is "boxy" an appropriate term to describe a sound? Like square? I think I want more triangles, but if this terminology just sounds like a severe case of synaesthesia on my part, I can rephrase. I know overdoing the base can sometimes cause this, but I keep it pretty moderate. I also don't use the extended EQ-settings, because then it just turns into a bassy mess. Having used pretty much every other knob as the control variable, it seems to be the gain itself, which prompted the curiosity about another pedal or new tubes.

• Members

I had a V3 and it was way better with 6L6's. You can also boost it with an OD pedal or use an MXR EQ in the loop.

I've heard this a lot, so I'll probably try this first. In my experience, EL34s just aren't nearly as aggressive as 6L6s.

Someone told me the bias switch wasn't reliable though, and caused a lot of amps to fry. He said I should just get it rewired the old-fashioned way. Is this sound advice? He didn't have any experience with the V3 and was speaking generally of bias switches.

• Members

I usually set the actual channel volume pretty high, with the master section lower. It's enough to be heard two floors up, but I push it and rattle the house occasionally. Sometimes I'll set it to 50w mode to see if it's easier to push half the tubes, but it doesn't make a big difference.

Is "boxy" an appropriate term to describe a sound? Like square? I think I want more triangles, but if this terminology just sounds like a severe case of synaesthesia on my part, I can rephrase. I know overdoing the base can sometimes cause this, but I keep it pretty moderate. I also don't use the extended EQ-settings, because then it just turns into a bassy mess. Having used pretty much every other knob as the control variable, it seems to be the gain itself, which prompted the curiosity about another pedal or new tubes.

It might be good to try different tubes before dropping a bunch of money on the SD pedal. Im not sure that pedal is gonna get you what you want. If the gain structure is what you are having an issue with, no matter how many pedals you put in front of it, its still gonna have that overall structure/tone to it. I would try some tube swaps. If that doesnt work out, then it might be time for you to look at an amp that you like better.

Also, talk to fastredponycar. He had a V3 for a while.

• Members

I wouldnt worry about the bias switch...I never had a problem with my carvin MTS or my JSX bias switches. Just make sure you bias the amp correctly. Eurotubes has a how to bias amps video up on their site that taught me how to bias my amps.

• Members

I've heard this a lot, so I'll probably try this first. In my experience, EL34s just aren't nearly as aggressive as 6L6s.

Someone told me the bias switch wasn't reliable though, and caused a lot of amps to fry. He said I should just get it rewired the old-fashioned way. Is this sound advice? He didn't have any experience with the V3 and was speaking generally of bias switches.

When switching to 6L6's the bias will need to be set as the 6L6's will be running hotter. There is a great vid on the Eurotubes site showing how to bias a V3.

• Members

Original question:

The SD TT Mayhem has a good tone, and will get brutal. The problem is the microtubes they use are microphonic, and shows up in really high gain settings. Lower settings it is not that noticable, but then what is the point of having high gain? I spent quite a bit of time with several of them at a shop, and they all had the same problem. I use pedals, and amp distortion, both are equally good, for different things.

• Members

I'm currently playing out of Krank Rev 1 Plus head (the new rev) and a Bogner Uberkab, which in-itself has alone some pretty brutal tones coming from it (although, I still haven't tweaked it to perfection yet.)

A while back I plugged my Line 6 Uber Metal pedal in, put it on the "Pulverize" setting, dropped the mids a bit, screwed with the sweep knob a bit, and ran it through the kleen channel of the head...
This happened...:eek::eek::evil::evil:

It is some of the most evil distortion I have heard. Ever. My friend, who is a tone FREAK, agreed. (Not saying I'm not, but this guy, does mastering and sound engineering at a local studio) I'll have to see if I can record some clips of it.

I love that pedal now after not touching it for like 4 years. The amount of different tones and sounds the pedal can produce is super wide and make it worth checking out man!

Oh btw - It has a built in noise gate that works great.

• Members

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Just boost your gain channel, either with a clean boost, a Tubescreamer style, or SD-1 style boost. DON'T run a high-gain distortion into the gain channel, and if you're so concerned with it being 'authentic', don't run the high-gain pedal into the clean channel.

If you're going to do that, just get a Fender Twin and be done with it.

Archived