what tubes in the Preamp of a ADA Mp-1?

Reignman

• Members

What do you guys think? I am going to retube it, what should I run?

Hey Reignman,

I recommend JJ 12AX7 preamp tubes rated at 110mu for your stock ADA MP-1 preamp. I've used the MP-1 preamps for a number of years and this is what I use when my MP-1 preamp was stock.

Guitar George

• Members

I recommend the Mesa SPAX7 tubes, they are re-branded tubes (normally sovtek or ruby) that Mesa specially grades for a higher gain and lower noise ratio. They really work well with MP-1 as it tends to be a noisy preamp. Also, the higher gain on the tubes allows you to get good sustain at lower settings on the preamp, which decreases the noise even further. of all the tubes I've tried on my MP-1, these are the ones that gave me the best results.

• Members

I recommend the Mesa SPAX7 tubes, they are re-branded tubes (normally sovtek or ruby) that Mesa specially grades for a higher gain and lower noise ratio.

+1 :thu:

This is what I use as well in mine. I tried 3 or 4 different types I had on hand when I got it, and the SPAX7's we're best hands down. Reduced noise aside, I just love how they sound in it. Really opened the MP-1 up for me.

• Members

Hey Reignman,

I recommend JJ 12AX7 preamp tubes rated at 110mu for your stock ADA MP-1 preamp. I've used the MP-1 preamps for a number of years and this is what I use when my MP-1 preamp was stock.

Guitar George

Correct. You need to run hot 12AX7s in there. Many a MP1 was hobbled by improper tubes back in the day. Made for some great bargains...

• Members

Thanks guys! I definitely have been eyeing the tung sol's... the JJ's I was considering, I put in a ecc803s gold pin and thought it sounded pretty good. I want a Demartini/Lynch 80's tone out of it, thats all. I want it to be my "forget the big stuff" setup.

Right now, I don't like the noise I am hearing out of it. It sounds kind of boomy and farty on the bass end of things. When trying to dial it out, it sounds pretty consistant.

Other than that, I think it has plenty of gain for what it is.

Billy, are the Mesa's a "higher gain making" tube or are they "good with high gain" setups?

This one has been modified by Voodoo Amps, sorry I havent mentioned it.

• Members

I recommend the Mesa SPAX7 tubes, they are re-branded tubes (normally sovtek or ruby) that Mesa specially grades for a higher gain and lower noise ratio. They really work well with MP-1 as it tends to be a noisy preamp. Also, the higher gain on the tubes allows you to get good sustain at lower settings on the preamp, which decreases the noise even further. of all the tubes I've tried on my MP-1, these are the ones that gave me the best results.

I'm gonna have to give this a try, because it can be noisy.

Archived