New tubes for Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

dgc480

• Members

Hey, I've have some almost new Svetlana winged C 6L6GCs, and Ruby Tubes 12AX7AC7 HG preamp tubes. I want to put them in a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, but before I get it biased for these tubes, I'm curious to know what this would do to the amp. The 6L6GCs have a fairly low breakup, and the 12AX7AC7s are high gain, so I was thinking this would give me better distortion, but in the process it could mess up my clean tone. Maybe I should put a lower gain preamp tube like a 5751 or 12at7 in one of the slots? It only uses three preamp tubes, and I'm not sure which slot controls what in that amp.

Thanks guys

• Members

Since two of friends I know have 'em (one with stock speaker, the other with Vintage 30), I personally think those preamp tubes wouldn't help improving the Deluxe's overdrive. They're not designed to be anything heavier than what it's designed for: smooth bluesy od. Being a very clean amp, those two rely on distortion pedals for their dirty tones.

It won't affect your clean tone for sure.

• Members

I actually love the OD of the deluxe the way it is, it's not that I'm looking to get a lot more out of it or turn it into something it's not. It's just that I have these tubes already from an old amp, and I'm curious how they would sound in the fender.

Archived