Hey you guys living in Japan

guidedbyechoes

• Members
well {censored} its like learning 3 different languages.....
:facepalm:

Well its not easy, and there is well over 6 million Kanji.
But don't worry no one knows it all. Just do it for fun and you will learn... Make Japanese friends it the best way.

I forget a lot myself and really need to re learn everything I have forgot and a lot more.

I am dad very bad now. And where I am going no one speaks English :o

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Well its not easy, and there is well over 6 million Kanji.

But don't worry no one knows it all. Just do it for fun and you will learn... Make Japanese friends it the best way.

I forget a lot myself and really need to re learn everything I have forgot and a lot more.

I am dad very bad now
. And where I am going no one speaks English
:o

Wut? Yeah I don't know of any Japanese people besides some that own a sushi place at one of my management locations but they are kind of assholes so....

So far I know a few words and phrases and get excited when I know what it means. A friend suggested watching anime with subtitles instead of english. I don't watch any anime so I dunno how well that would work.

• Members

Thats why I am attempting to learn the language. So local busisneses and street signs would be in Hirigana and places like mcdonalds and Walmart would be in Katakana. And Kenji is the formal version of writing?

No, usually it's a mixture of Katakana and Kanji everywhere. Nobody knows all the Kanji, even Japanese, so sometimes they'll have Katakana subtitles under certain Kanji on signs and such.

Kanji is not "formal." It's just another part of the writing system.

Learn how to speak it first, then worry about reading/writing. You WILL NOT learn to speak Japanese from watching anime. No. Never. Not gonna happen.

The only way to learn is to do. Take a class, find some Japanese people to practice with or sign up for a conversation class (Eikawa).

Learn basic phrases like, "Hello, my name is _____. Nice to meet you. I'm from _______. What's your name? blah blah blah..."

"Konnichiwa, watashi no namae wa ________. Hajimima{censored}e. Amerika kara kima{censored}a. Onamae wa nan desuka? blah blah blah blah..."

Japanese is an easy language (I think). There's very little, if any, conjugation of verbs. Nouns have no gender. Syntax can work many different ways and still make sense. For example:

"What is this?"

What = nan or nan (ni).

This = kore (wa)

Is/to be = desu. In the form of a question, you add "ka" after "desu" = desuka.

"What is this" =

Kore wa nan desuka (What is this?)

Nan ni kore (What's this?)

Nan desuka kore (What is it, this?)

Desuka kore (what's it?)

It all makes sense in context regardless of how you order it. They'll have slightly different connotations, but it's still all correct.

Just an example, of course.

I studied Japanese in college and it was very hard to learn anything. I graduated and I really only knew a few words and phrases. I definitely could not hold a conversation. Living in Japan, I was able to hold basic conversations within two or three months. And after a year my Japanese was good enough to go day to day in places where there was ZERO English anywhere. I could read menus at restaurants, read street signs and maps, have small talk with strangers, communicate well with my coworkers and etc. You really need to immerse yourself in a culture to learn the language with any efficiency. Being forced to hear it, speak it, live it every day is the key. But, maybe that's just me. Some people do well in a classroom or teaching themselves online...

• Members
Wut? Yeah I don't know of any Japanese people besides some that own a sushi place at one of my management locations but they are kind of assholes so....

So far I know a few words and phrases and get excited when I know what it means. A friend suggested watching anime with subtitles instead of english. I don't watch any anime so I dunno how well that would work.

Bad that would be the auto spell check :facepalm:

• Members

I studied Japanese in college and it was very hard to learn anything. I graduated and I really only knew a few words and phrases. I definitely could not hold a conversation. Living in Japan, I was able to hold basic conversations within two or three months. And after a year my Japanese was good enough to go day to day in places where there was ZERO English anywhere. I could read menus at restaurants, read street signs and maps, have small talk with strangers, communicate well with my coworkers and etc. You really need to immerse yourself in a culture to learn the language with any efficiency. Being forced to hear it, speak it, live it every day is the key. But, maybe that's just me. Some people do well in a classroom or teaching themselves online...

This but I threw myself in the deep end, learnt a few important phrases like "kore wa nan desuka?" and "Nama biiru onegaishimasu"

once I learnt that and a few others I just went for it.

I like the word douzo the Japanese cant believe it if you hold a door open for them and say Douzo.

• Members

No, usually it's a mixture of Katakana and Kanji everywhere. Nobody knows all the Kanji, even Japanese, so sometimes they'll have Katakana subtitles under certain Kanji on signs and such.

Kanji is not "formal." It's just another part of the writing system.

Learn how to speak it first, then worry about reading/writing. You WILL NOT learn to speak Japanese from watching anime. No. Never. Not gonna happen.

The only way to learn is to do. Take a class, find some Japanese people to practice with or sign up for a conversation class (Eikawa).

Learn basic phrases like, "Hello, my name is _____. Nice to meet you. I'm from _______. What's your name? blah blah blah..."

"Konnichiwa, watashi no namae wa ________. Hajimima{censored}e. Amerika kara kima{censored}a. Onamae wa nan desuka? blah blah blah blah..."

Japanese is an easy language (I think). There's very little, if any, conjugation of verbs. Nouns have no gender. Syntax can work many different ways and still make sense. For example:

"What is this?"

What = nan or nan (ni).

This = kore (wa)

Is/to be = desu. In the form of a question, you add "ka" after "desu" = desuka.

"What is this" =

Kore wa nan desuka (What is this?)

Nan ni kore (What's this?)

Nan desuka kore (What is it, this?)

Desuka kore (what's it?)

It all makes sense in context regardless of how you order it. They'll have slightly different connotations, but it's still all correct.

Just an example, of course.

Yeah I watched a nurato episode for 2 minutes. I was like their sentence structures arent the same. But it makes sense to learn to speak the language before I can read it. I mean it took me more than one year to speak English. Any other language would be the same.

• Members
This but I threw myself in the deep end, learnt a few important phrases like "kore wa nan desuka?" and "Nama biiru onegaishimasu"

once I learnt that and a few others I just went for it.

I like the word douzo the Japanese cant believe it if you hold a door open for them and say Douzo.

Ordering beer? :)

• Members

Depends on where you are. Large cities will have a lot of signs in English as well as Japanese. Hiragana is the Japanese phonetic language. Katakana is the phonetic language used for foreign (non-Japanese) words. Kanji are Chinese characters that communicate entire concepts and are not phonetic.

I wouldn't rely on the Japanese' ability to speak English. It's better for you to assume nobody speaks English, even if they do.

heh, why can't we have the same theory apply to immigrants coming to the US? lol...

Lots of people speak mexican, but don't expect them to - learn the language!

• Members
they sold esp just never even heard of edwards i went to about 4 shops right in the osaka city none of them had any idea what i was talking about

:freak: they are every where I have been. I think you were very unlucky.
Let me know if you want me to have a look for you when I go back in 8 weeks time.

• Members

Like Genki desu ka? and kawaii shoujo

Yeah, maybe if you want to sound like a noob. You need real phrases that will let people know you mean business. Like:

Nechan, doko ni iku no? Ii getsu {censored}eruneeeeee! *SLAP* Ah, gomen!

Koko wa doko? Watashi wa dare? Nani mo wakanaiii!!!!!! Sou{censored}e, Ima wa itsu desuka?

Ara! Onara suru tsumori datta kedo, unchi ga dechatta...

• Members

Yeah, maybe if you want to sound like a noob. You need real phrases that will let people know you mean business. Like:

Nechan, doko ni iku no? Ii getsu {censored}eruneeeeee!

Without out finding the translation I want to guess it says "where is the bathroom? I need to take a {censored}!"

Now I'm gonna go look it up.

• Members

romanji to English is not going very well. First one still seems like he asking a woman about taking a {censored}. Second one I got a lot of synonyms for I and something about an eggroll and something old. the 3rd one translated to this ara! fart to do intention datta kedo, {censored} moth dechatta..

Archived