Broke Mod

Beastly

• Members

So i had a thread the other day about my amp suddenly going like 1/3 the volume at band practice. Anyway, thought i'd go over it once more today...and yeah, obviously its still broke....but holy {censored} it sounds good.

It still pushes the tubes if i crank it...its just...attenuated.

The amp is basically acting and sounding normal otherwise.

Clearly, I'll be having it looked at BUT if its not killing anything (which i assume it probably is) i may even leave it that way for a while and use something else at practice.

Anyway for you 'low watter that will work in my apt' dudes just start breaking {censored}. :thu::idea:;)

• Members

was the first thing i checked. i replaced all the tubes/fuses before i was sure it wasn't that. Im speculating speaker...its a 1974x that already has the transformer fix, but i honestly have no real idea.

anyway, im going to find out what it is before i fix it...my little broke mod has tonal transparency. IF anything at all, its got 5% more gain. I'll call it Klon.

All kidding aside, it sounds really, really good.

Its the best a bad thing can be right now.

• Members

yeah, i know, i keep telling myself not to, you know, just in case.

but its damn near a dream come true, atleast on the 5-6 days a week i dont use it at practice.

As a dude who admittedly knows little about amp repair, I have spent alot of time gazing at my amp, its tubes and imaging my own creationist style story of how my sound travels through the sands of rock, and there is honestly no discernible difference other than a lack of volume.

but i know exactly what you're saying...definitely taking it in the shop soon enough....i hope he can make this broke mod on a switch tho tbh.

• Members

As a dude who admittedly knows little about amp repair, I have spent alot of time gazing at my amp, its tubes and imaging my own creationist style story of how my sound travels through the sands of rock, and there is honestly no discernible difference other than a lack of volume.

:lol:

Then the electricity moved to the tubes, and the tubes, lo, they found it to be good.

:lol:

• Members

Something is acting like a "master volume" in the amp. basically attenuating things after the preamp and power amp stages are done (if it sounds good, all the controls are working etc...)

Maybe a speaker blown? Output transformer?

You don't get good overdrive sounds without the preamp stage working well, the preamp tube being pushed by a strong input and the preamp tube running well.

I'd try an external speaker to rule the speaker out. Maybe swap out tubes just because it's an easy test. If it's neither of those I would open it up and look for burnt out components. At that point I'd be calling in a tech because I'm no amp expert but my guess might be you fried something in the OT.

• Members

Well, opened it up...everything appears normal, as far as i can tell

again, im pretty sure its not tubes, i keep lots around and had the same results with any sets.

Definitely got to try it with another cab to rule out the speaker tho.

anyway figured id take gut shots while i have it open

9hkpqp.jpg

33jqwhs.jpg

• Members

tried three different 12ax7's in the PI

but it could be related to that for all i know.

but honestly, i swapped every tube, individually and in batches, pre, power and rectifier, and got zero difference every time, so unless its in the socket or something i am pretty confident its not a PI or any tube.

• Members

tried three different 12ax7's in the PI

but it could be related to that for all i know.

but honestly, i swapped every tube, individually and in batches, pre, power and rectifier, and got zero difference every time, so unless its in the socket or something i am pretty confident its not a PI or any tube.

Wierd. Even if it's not the tube, I bet it's something to do with the PI, just because I'm guessing.

Archived