Problem with Vox

wisewendell

• Members

Hello to the great fountain of knowledge that is the forum on interwebz.

I have a problem with my AD60VTX, the problem is,

There is very little sound coming out of the amp, I was playing it one night when all the sudden it just started getting quieter and quieter, then nothing, It still does this. When I turn up the master volume all the way, and the volume and gain on the patch, I can hear some sound but not anything what it should be.

I thought it might be the preamp tube so I got another tube, put it in, it still does the same thing. I don't know what it could be. Could the new tube be bad? Its a JJ ECC83S 12AX7, brand new from the fleebay.

Any and all help, advice, knowledge to what the problem is would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

• Members

There is very little sound coming out of the amp, I was playing it one night when all the sudden it just started getting quieter and quieter, then nothing, It still does this. When I turn up the master volume all the way, and the volume and gain on the patch, I can hear some sound but not anything what it should be.

I thought it might be the preamp tube so I got another tube, put it in, it still does the same thing. I don't know what it could be. Could the new tube be bad? Its a JJ ECC83S 12AX7, brand new from the fleebay.

Any and all help, advice, knowledge to what the problem is would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

You bought a tube on Ebay?Anyway, if it was doing the same thing before the tube swap, I doubt that it is the tube. Are you using a footswitch or not? I have a few issues sometimes when using my VC-4. Also did you clean all the jacks, especially the loop ones, as well as shoot some contact cleaner in the attenuator control on the back? Is it Korean or Viet?

• Members

You bought a tube on Ebay?Anyway, if it was doing the same thing before the tube swap, I doubt that it is the tube. Are you using a footswitch or not? I have a few issues sometimes when using my VC-4. Also did you clean all the jacks, especially the loop ones, as well as shoot some contact cleaner in the attenuator control on the back? Is it Korean or Viet?

Am not using a footswitch, when I plug the guitar in the loop return the power amp section works, but the preamp section does not. I will try spraying Contact cleaner on everything and see if that fixes it.

• Members

Thanks

My buddy had the same issue, took it to a tech, paid $40, got back the amp working like a champ.

• Members

The contact cleaner in the jacks did the trick. Not sure why, but it did.

Those common plastic {censored}ty jacks have bad contact points that oxidize and get dirty etc. The problem is that the shorting contacts are used to short the fx loop when you are not using any fx in the loop. Even if you never use the loop, jacks go bad.

Almost any amp made with those plastic jacks have similar problems at one point or another. Glad you got it fixed :cool:

Archived