Best low wattage tube head?

butterguitar

• Members

Well what I will probably end of doing since neither of these amps are at a guitar center near me, I will probably have to purchase the Jet City from musicansfriend, and if I am not 100% sastified I will ship it back and exchange it for the Blackstar.

I just fear the Blackstar would be too over the top for me, as I am looking for a nice furry roar Marshall JCM 800 sound, not a full out scooped metal type tone.

Just curious where you got the impression that the Blackstar was a metal amp? The amp is extremely versatile in the gain department with a decent clean channel. The ISF knob gives it a variety of sounds.

The HT-5 I have does a wonderful crunch tone and has the ability to do searing leads (Neal Schon-ish?) The JCA20 I tried could not come close to that, although it also has a great crunch tone. Honestly if you don't care about the higher end of the gain range, either will do fine.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I have two questions.

1. Do any of these low wattage heads have channel switching?

2. How do you think the tweaker would sound through my genz benz 4x12?

The Blackstar does...the Jet City and Tweaker are a single channel amps I believe.

• Members

I too, am looking into getting the HT-5. I have wanted it for a LONG time, and I'm currently trying to sell some stuff so I can afford it.

I had a couple questions you HT-5 owners might be able to answer:
I heard the 10" cab it comes with isn't very good so I was looking to get a different one. The Orange PPC112 came to mind. Is this a good cab to match with the HT-5?
Also, I wondered if running a Digitech RP-250 through the HT-5 would squash the "tube-ness" of the head and just make it sound thin and sterile. Is that true?

Thanks to all responses in advance.

• Members

I really like the Blackstar HT-5 gain channel. It friggin NAILS the 80's heavy metal sound, at any volume level from whisper to wide open.

The clean channel is not the best (ie/ not a friggin 100 watt fender), but WTF do you want? If you play country, buy a SS peavey from the 80's.:wave:

• Members

Just curious where you got the impression that the Blackstar was a metal amp? The amp is extremely versatile in the gain department with a decent clean channel. The ISF knob gives it a variety of sounds.

The HT-5 I have does a wonderful crunch tone and has the ability to do searing leads (Neal Schon-ish?) The JCA20 I tried could not come close to that, although it also has a great crunch tone. Honestly if you don't care about the higher end of the gain range, either will do fine.

Well the amp sounds to my ears like a mini 6505, which is what I do not want.

Archived