Mastodon show destroyed by soundman. (Austin FFFest)

Soundstorm

• Members

First of all, High on Fire was a great show. Matt was a little sloppy as I expected, but overall excellent performance on their part.

Kylesa surprised the hell out of me. Seriously, I need to get some of their music, bc they really laid it down.

Suicidal Tendencies was a really solid performance, just not my sort of thing.

Now for Mastodon, let me startby saying I spent 8 years of the last decade working in the pro audio field as a sound tech. I've worked with hundreds of acts both large and small, not to mention the concerts I've played or attended, and I have never, I mean NEVER heard a performance completely annihilated by one tech's pure incompetence. I kept looking over my shoulder to the sound booth to see if there was even anyone there. The vox were too loud, then too low, one of the guitars were muted, for the first three songs the only thing prevalent in the entire mix was the snare drum, which was deafening, the kick was non-existant. I mean, were they in a pinch and had to use the bus driver? We left after the fourth song. What a waste!!

• Members

They travel with their own FOH guy. Its his fault and no one elses

either they're extremely naive and stupid (I highly, highly doubt that) for having an incompetant soundguy, or there could have been problems that the sg had no control over. sound engineers at that level have to be extremely knowledgeable, I trust that the guy knew what he was doing.

Archived