Fantastic albums ala The Grand Illusion

RiffDaemon

• Members

Ok, so the "An Evening With Styx" tour came to Atlanta last weekend, and they played The Grand Illusion and Pieces of Eight in their entirety. Now, I had only owned their Greatest Hits album, and those songs were the only ones I knew. Well, I was blown away by songs from The Grand Illusion that weren't on that compilation, namely "Man In The Wilderness" and "Castle Walls" :love: :love:

I bought The Grand Illusion immediatley after the show, and I can't stop playing it. This album is just perfection!

So HCAF, what other "art-rock"/AOR albums are out there that are as epic as this? The only one that's on my radar at the moment is Kansas' Leftoverture. What others are out there?

Gimme recommendations!! :wave:

[YOUTUBE]09l_zXCQpik[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]WBRoQ91W1rk[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

Grand Illusion, Pieces Of Eight, and Paradise Theater were three of my favorite albums growing up. Another one that stuck with me was Aldo Nova's Subject. Not quite the same as those Styx albums, but similar in the way it all felt somehow tied together.

Newer (but still 80's) I always liked the flow of Fate's Warning's No Exit album.

• Members
As much as I like Journey, Styx are the ones I'm really looking forward to seeing again

Yep, Styx are the total package of musicianship, showmanship, and variety. Journey didn't hold a candle to the Styx performances I've seen so far.

Styx stole the show from Boston a few years ago. I was telling my friend after the show, "Why aren't these guys headlining???" And the next year, I got just that :love:

Archived