Peavey Classic Head vs Marshall DSL

guitarbilly74

• Members

If presented this choice personally, I'd go with the Peavey Classic in a heartbeat. But I've wanted one for a couple of years and have no experience with Marshall beyond a JCM800 and an old MG half-stack. As far as the Peavey goes, I like amps with a simple setup and shared EQ... Yeah, I'm an odd one. I also like the Pre and Post gain setup that the Peavey offers. From my experience, the Peavey has a really natural sound and responds very well to pick attack... two things that I look for in an amp.

• Members

That is quite a dilemma you have there....I personally love both these amps. Though since I have bought my Peavey Classic 50, I haven't had any desire to get another DSL. They are both pretty versatile amps, but I would say the DSL edges out the Peavey only slightly on overall versatility. They both have good cleans and take pedals very well.

The thing I like about the Peavey Classic 50 is that I can switch between the clean and gain side of the amp without any issues of one side sounding thinner than the other. That was my only gripe with the DSL, though I found that using a distortion pedal into the green channel (crunch button engaged) on the DSL I could get very good distortion. Since my Peavey is the 2x12 combo and the DSL I had was ran into an Avatar Contemporary 2x12 with Vintage 30s, it is hard for me to say how the Peavey compares to the DSL in that aspect.

I do believe the DSL might edge out the Classic on tightness of the low end. To me these amps sound very similar, but I would say the Classic series really nail lead tones and the DSL, for me, better at the rhythm. Though it sounded great for lead work, it just seems that the Classic is a little bit more loose in the low end and smoother throughout the spectrum.

It might be silly to use this as a buying factor, but 3 12AX7s and 4 EL84s are cheaper to replace than 4 12AX7s and 4 EL34s (unless it is a DSL50 - then this is apples to apples)....I really like this fact that I don't have to spend a $100 dollars to get new power tubes.

I really think that in any situation either one of those amps are going to be killer for you. I do think that the Marshall has slightly more balls than the Classic series.

Cole

• Members

That is quite a dilemma you have there....I personally love both these amps. Though since I have bought my Peavey Classic 50, I haven't had any desire to get another DSL. They are both pretty versatile amps, but I would say the DSL edges out the Peavey only slightly on overall versatility. They both have good cleans and take pedals very well.

The thing I like about the Peavey Classic 50 is that I can switch between the clean and gain side of the amp without any issues of one side sounding thinner than the other. That was my only gripe with the DSL, though I found that using a distortion pedal into the green channel (crunch button engaged) on the DSL I could get very good distortion. Since my Peavey is the 2x12 combo and the DSL I had was ran into an Avatar Contemporary 2x12 with Vintage 30s, it is hard for me to say how the Peavey compares to the DSL in that aspect.

I do believe the DSL might edge out the Classic on tightness of the low end. To me these amps sound very similar, but I would say the Classic series really nail lead tones and the DSL, for me, better at the rhythm. Though it sounded great for lead work, it just seems that the Classic is a little bit more loose in the low end and smoother throughout the spectrum.

It might be silly to use this as a buying factor, but 3 12AX7s and 4 EL84s are cheaper to replace than 4 12AX7s and 4 EL34s (unless it is a DSL50 - then this is apples to apples)....I really like this fact that I don't have to spend a $100 dollars to get new power tubes.

I really think that in any situation either one of those amps are going to be killer for you. I do think that the Marshall has slightly more balls than the Classic series.

Cole

Hey Cole

Cool I pretty much agree with everything you said there. I've been wanting to get the DSL back for the longest time but since I got the Classic 50 a few days ago, I am kind of wondering if it's even worth it to buy the DSL at this point.

The Classic is pretty much giving me near perfect tone right now, my only complaint is that I wish it was a bit louder, I have a new set of tubes on the way for it and perhaps that will fix the problem.

The other clear advantage the Classic has is that I already have it, while the DSL would be another purchase. I do have the money for it though. Perhaps I will buy it, than try both side by side and decide which one I should keep, if not both.

• Members

Hey Cole

Cool I pretty much agree with everything you said there. I've been wanting to get the DSL back for the longest time but since I got the Classic 50 a few days ago, I am kind of wondering if it's even worth it to buy the DSL at this point.

The Classic is pretty much giving me near perfect tone right now, my only complaint is that I wish it was a bit louder, I have a new set of tubes on the way for it and perhaps that will fix the problem.

The other clear advantage the Classic has is that I already have it, while the DSL would be another purchase. I do have the money for it though. Perhaps I will buy it, than try both side by side and decide which one I should keep, if not both.

If you do that you might end up keeping both and running them in stereo! The Classic series are really great amps, as well as the DSL....I would say A/B them and see which one comes out on top....if you do make sure to let us know your findings!

By the way, what tubes did you settle on for you Classic 50?

Cole

• Members

If you do that you might end up keeping both and running them in stereo! The Classic series are really great amps, as well as the DSL....I would say A/B them and see which one comes out on top....if you do make sure to let us know your findings!

By the way, what tubes did you settle on for you Classic 50?

Cole

I ordered a set of Sovtek EL84's for the power section. Let see how that works.

For the preamp right now I have a GT 12AX7-R, a stock Marshall tube and a stock Peavey tube. I still have to work on the preamp but the tone is fine as it is. But I will do some work on it if I decide to keep it.

• Members

I have been looking at getting some new speakers for my Classic 50....I have it narrowed down to the WGS ET65 or an Eminence GB128....if you don't mind me asking, how do the Vintage 30s sound with this amp? Anything you dislike about them with it? I like Vintage 30s, but I thought that they might not sit right with this amp.

Also let me know about the Sovtek tubes after you install them....I had my eye on TAD EL84s when the time comes, but I would love to hear some input about other options.

Cole

• Members

I have been looking at getting some new speakers for my Classic 50....I have it narrowed down to the WGS ET65 or an Eminence GB128....if you don't mind me asking, how do the Vintage 30s sound with this amp? Anything you dislike about them with it? I like Vintage 30s, but I thought that they might not sit right with this amp.

Also let me know about the Sovtek tubes after you install them....I had my eye on TAD EL84s when the time comes, but I would love to hear some input about other options.

Cole

The V30's.... yeah they can get a little too ice picky with this amp. I had to lower the pickups a bit and re-EQ the amp to compensate for the extra treble. It's fine but I think I will replace them with something else if I keep this amp for the long run. I was thinking maybe GB's or Private Jacks would be a good much for it.

• Members

The V30's.... yeah they can get a little too ice picky with this amp. I had to lower the pickups a bit and re-EQ the amp to compensate for the extra treble. It's fine but I think I will replace them with something else if I keep this amp for the long run. I was thinking maybe GB's or Private Jacks would be a good much for it.

From what I have read the GB128 speakers are a bit darker than the Private Jack speakers....I can really hear the high end shrill and needed a speaker to tame it some. gt_jumper recommends either a Greenback or a G12T-75. I am not a fan of the T-75 speakers at all, but I would be willing to try the Eminence GB. I have been trying to find a speaker comparison for Peavey speakers, as I have seen one before, but I am not finding it.

I don't know whether or not you heard my clip of the distortion channel or not, but you can really hear what I am talking about. I posted it in your "Peavey Classic owners, talk to me" thread. I was trying to get a good clip of what my amp sounds like for you, so that you could order tubes that work for you...

Cole

• Members

From what I have read the GB128 speakers are a bit darker than the Private Jack speakers....I can really hear the high end shrill and needed a speaker to tame it some. gt_jumper recommends either a Greenback or a G12T-75. I am not a fan of the T-75 speakers at all, but I would be willing to try the Eminence GB. I have been trying to find a speaker comparison for Peavey speakers, as I have seen one before, but I am not finding it.

I don't know whether or not you heard my clip of the distortion channel or not, but you can really hear what I am talking about. I posted it in your "Peavey Classic owners, talk to me" thread. I was trying to get a good clip of what my amp sounds like for you, so that you could order tubes that work for you...

Cole

Oh sorry I thought I had commented on that clip. It sounds really good. Once I am ready to buy preamp tubes I will probably go with the same combo you did.

• Members

I owned both of those (Classic 50 combo), and while they are very similar, they are different at the same time. My DSL was more of a green channel, guitar volume for clean type of amp, whereas the C50 can be set good clean and dirty with the same EQ settings, and switched.

The C50 to me was a bit easier to play, smoother, but if it's set that way, it doesn't have that Marshall bark and bite to it.

• Members

I owned both of those (Classic 50 combo), and while they are very similar, they are different at the same time. My DSL was more of a green channel, guitar volume for clean type of amp, whereas the C50 can be set good clean and dirty with the same EQ settings, and switched.

The C50 to me was a bit easier to play, smoother, but if it's set that way, it doesn't have that Marshall bark and bite to it.

That is a good way of saying it...that is exactly how I feel about the two amps!

Cole

Archived