NMV Marshall at home

BlackCustom

• Members

I love the sound of a non master volume Marshall (think AC/DC), and can get there if I can turn up, but have not had much luck getting that tone at home. The main problem is even a 5 watt amp is pretty damn loud.

Are you getting good crunchy tone at home? How do you do it? Crank the pre, power scaling, attenuator?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I love the sound of a non master volume Marshall (think AC/DC), and can get there if I can turn up, but have not had much luck getting that tone at home. The main problem is even a 5 watt amp is pretty damn loud.

Are you getting good crunchy tone at home? How do you do it? Crank the pre, power scaling, attenuator?

AC/DC also used mid-70's JMP MV amps as well in the past.

What you do with those amps is set the gain up backwards. Turn the Master knob on 10 and bring the Pre-amp knob up to desired level before blowing your face off your shoulders. That's how i ran my MV JMP's when i did AC/DC , Aerosmith and other classic rock tunes live.

It won't be exactly the same but real close.

• Members

I guess that's why i've ruptured my eardrum in the past.
:mad:

I have to say every time i see your avatar of those JMP amps i start gassing for my 77 JMP all over again.

I wish i would have never sold it, bad move on my part.

My favorate JMP's are the late 76-77 MV Marshalls. :thu:

78-81 they seem to have changed something making them sound closer to the JCM's in tone.

• Members
I have to say every time i see your avatar of those JMP amps i start gassing for my 77 JMP all over again.

I wish i would have never sold it, bad move on my part.

My favorate JMP's are the late 76-77 MV Marshalls.
:thu:
78-81 they seem to have changed something making them sound closer to the JCM's in tone.

Your not alone, everyone, and i mean everyone who sold an old Marshall i know has regreted it, myself included, the two i have now are keepers.:thu:

• Members

AC/DC also used mid-70's JMP MV amps as well in the past.

What you do with those amps is set the gain up backwards. Turn the Master knob on 10 and bring the Pre-amp knob up to desired level before blowing your face off your shoulders. That's how i ran my MV JMP's when i did AC/DC , Aerosmith and other classic rock tunes live.

It won't be exactly the same but real close.

the thread is actually about non-MV amps.

to those who don't think attenuators will work at low volumes, keep your blind ignorance to your self because there's a few units out there that do work really well, they cost a lot though.

• Members

the thread is actually about
non
-MV amps.

to those who don't think attenuators will work at low volumes, keep your blind ignorance to your self because there's a few units out there that do work really well, they cost a lot though.

which ones?

• Members
non
-MV amps.

if i did go with one, i'd go with a Weber Mass or have a MV installed.:cop:

• Members

non
-MV amps.

But he also asked how you get that crunchy tone at home.

" crank the pre", power scaling, attenuator.

Non-Master volume amps don't have pre's.

• Members

Spending $400 bucks on a attenuator seems silly to me, plus they alter your tone & wear out tubes faster.

If i can practice in a 700 sq ft apartment twice a week with 13 neighbors at volume with a 100 watt JMP and not piss anyone off, then someone in their own house has no excuse IMHO, but it's your dime.:snax:

Archived