Using old guitar strings to make/fix things. Spegetti cutter, and other ideas.

DougH

• Members

You can recycle, which may be the best option but what can you build rather than buy? Reduce, reuse then recycle.

A feeler gauge. You can use them as feeler gauges if you attache them to a circle of material and bend them into a loop like a compact spark plug gapping tool and use them similar to a feeler gauge.

http://www.math.columbia.edu/~bayer/Chitarra/ You can use .014 strings to make a spaghetti chitarra (guitar in Italian) for cutting home made pasta. :D

http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Art-from-Guitar-Strings -There is always art from found materials.:D

More art in the form of jewelry http://www.mnartists.org/work.do;jsessionid=5AF6F22ED40C28875AC49739C92E8069?rid=55038

I am interested in the spaghetti cutter and thought I would make a post about other things to.

What have you used guitar strings for?

• Members

One of the most oddball uses for a guitar string I've ever encountered, used or otherwise, is as a tattoo needle. Apparently a .013-gauge guitar string is the perfect substitute for what would otherwise be an $80 needle. Not sure I'd want to use a used one though :p

Wire's wire; a used guitar string will hold up pretty well for most applications requiring uninsulated wire.

• Members

I take a short section of used wound string, superglue it to a popsicle stick, write the gauge on the stick with a Sharpie.

Once I've got a nut blank roughed in, slots to depth and close to their final shape, I'll use my gizmo to finish shaping the slot. What better file than the string it's going to carry?

Only good for a couple uses before it's clogged to death, but I was gonna throw it away anyhow :cool:

Oh, and an unwound G would make a practical garrote :evil:

• Members

The construction company I used to work for had a lot of heavy equipment (backhoes, excavators, motorgraders, etc.) that occasionally had to have windows replaced. The maintenance guy used to use non-wound strings to cut through the rubber seal to remove old windows. I occasionally gave him old strings after a change.

• Members

The construction company I used to work for had a lot of heavy equipment (backhoes, excavators, motorgraders, etc.) that occasionally had to have windows replaced. The maintenance guy used to use non-wound strings to cut through the rubber seal to remove old windows. I occasionally gave him old strings after a change.

I used an old string to do that once. (Actually several old strings. I found out that if you try to go too fast, they heat up and break. But they work.)

• Members

It's kind of one of those weird old classics (this has happened to me too!!) -- also good for cutting clay at pottery studios

sort of like how (well, this may be a bygone era now) TV repairmen would stop by the dentist and pick up old mirrors and picks

• Members

You can also use them in model (foam) glider building. Attach it to a power source and the wire heats up (short circuit) and slices through foam like butter. DO NOT stick directly into the plug, for those interested in the darwin award.

I remember doing basically that in a physics lesson a few years ago.

We were doing a practical possibly about resistance in wire or something. Anyway, a teacher brings a group of first years (11 year olds) into the back of the classroom, and my teacher went to give them a lecture on safety in the lab for about 1/2 hour. His back was turned, and soon enough we found out that wire makes a good...wire cutter... when heated. By the time he'd finished talking to them we'd cut everything we could find straight in half - cups, beakers, anything lying around. Pretty dopey teacher- the room stank of burning plastic, and there were burns all over the tables (and some smoke) - we just told him we'd been spraying deodorant or something. Ahh good times.

Back on topic - I've used them as bracelets before, but they're not very comfy and don't look good, so I'm going to have to try these ideas out.

• Members

I've used the stuff for model railroading. Wound strings make for very convincing lagged pipe or steam lines when painted. It's also usefull for turnout throw linkages. The small sizes are good for scenery, especially plaster rock castings. I've made some good sized ones and used a couple different sizes like rebar. Long story short is that grids made of strings add lots of strength to the bigger castings. They are much less likely to come apart.

• Members

I've used the stuff for model railroading. Wound strings make for very convincing lagged pipe or steam lines when painted. It's also usefull for turnout throw linkages. The small sizes are good for scenery, especially plaster rock castings. I've made some good sized ones and used a couple different sizes like rebar. Long story short is that grids made of strings add lots of strength to the bigger castings. They are much less likely to come apart.

I used to give my old strings to my mate for making scenery on his layout. Overhead power lines, wire fences, handrails on steam locos, all were possibilities.

Archived