Peavey Classic 30, best way to get higher gain???

Beckman

• Members

I've been playing electric for 5 years- I'd had the C30 for 3. I'm not so sure what he did but he whipped out the bad and stuck a new set of transformers, ME-5 board and valves. We call it "Bulldog". Since my rig was changed over we've had our Fender Hot Rod Deluxe improved too- really nice!!! Both the C30 and the Hot Rod have new Wienbrock Black badges- rather like a hall of shame!

• Members

I felt pretty uneasy about not knowing what Rob actually did to my C30- called him before work this morning to find out.....:-

1. Replaced both mains and output transformers.

2. Added a choke

3. Added a ME-5 hand wired board (5F6A Fender Bassman)!!!

4. Put in Reflektor 6n3C-Es

He still does the same improvement but the price has gone up considerably- after what hetold me this morning I understand why I have a bad back AND a love for my Bulldog!!!

If I ever had a recommendation to make- it would be for all Fender Hot Rod and C30 owners to do the same!!!

• Members

Going back to your post- Hmmmm.... might have gotten a little carried away there- it's just I saw C30- it makes me animated!!!

Stick a Big Muff up it!

That's fine. It sounds like he made the C30 an ME-5. There were some simple mods out there to make the C30 sound more like a Bassman. I found some suggestions when searching for mods once. I required changed a few caps and resistors. Did he remove the C30 board all together? Or, add the ME-5 board?

• Members

Going back to your post- Hmmmm.... might have gotten a little carried away there- it's just I saw C30- it makes me animated!!!

Stick a Big Muff up it!

I'll apologize up front because I really don't mean this to be insulting but the Big Muff is one of THE worst sounding noise makers in history. If you want your tube amp tone to sound like a fuzz factory then by all means go ahead. If not, use a classy overdrive pedal like an OCD. Heck even my Danelectro CTO-1 is cheap ($40) and can either color the sound or make it stay the same PLUS give you more gain and boost the volume.

I tried the C30 and while I enjoyed the clean tones, I didn't care for the gain channel OR the amount of gain. At that time I went with the Crate V32 Palomino which had a nicer sounding distortion.

• Members

My brother has been playing a Visual Sound Jekyll & Hyde through his Classic 30 for years now and I have always been envious of how good it sounds. I've had a lot of setups that I like a lot but I have to say that the JJ's in his Classic 30, driven by the Hyde distortion is something otherworldly. I am finally giving up trying to be different than him and I broke down and am buying the same rig. I already had the Jekyll & Hyde and I am picking up a used vintage 1985 Classic 30 today along with a set of JJ tubes. I also run a Sonic Stomp nearly always so my sound will still be totally different than his. PS. the Sonic Stomp is the best pedal I have ever owned and it NEVER is out of the loop...

Archived