Peavey Classic 30, best way to get higher gain???

Beckman

• Members

Not another C30 thread.:facepalm:

Hey guys (and dolls), I have a C30 that is stock. I really like it. I have been playing it with a pedal (various), I just started playing the drive channel recently. I really like it.

My dilemma is, I want to vary the dirt. Maybe more gain. What have you done?Changed the tubes (JJ's), pedals (good one for Marshally tones), blue guitar upgrades, speaker change?

I know this is a loaded question, and there are probably a bunch of threads already, but I don't care. I really don't have the $$ to get another amp as I want a new guitar. I don't play out, so this is just for me.

Any input would be welcome.

• Members

Could you give a few examples of the kind of gain you are talking about. Songs, bands...

Sorry, a variety. I play Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Lenny Kravitz, Pink Floyd, Metallica, System of the Down, Godsmack, Muse, Kings of Leon, old 80's metal, zeppelin, Foo fighters, bluesish, Classic Rock, etc.

• Members

How much more gain do you need?

My C50 + a boost is more than enough gain, IMO, for just about any style of music.

Really, an unboosted C50 is almost there to begin with...I'm wondering if you're not running more gain than the songs require.

If you're already boosting the front end and still need more, your best bet is another amp.

Failing that, look into getting a dedicated distortion pedal like the Boss Power Stack (great sounding pedal, BTW)

• Members

I'd look into a high gain distortion like a Tone Freak severe for more modern metal sounds on the clean channel and then a simple overdrive like a screamer, timmy, sd-1 to boost the lead channel if needed for different tones. Then you'll have your clean, od, boosted od and modern high gain type tones all in three switches.

Sixtonoize has a point though, I also tend to run too much gain. I used my guitar plugged directly into a Classic 50 for years to play everything from indie rock to pennywise. Great amps.

• Members

I just got done playing some more. I think I get edgy being on these boards, and watching posted videos, and my memory fades. I was just playing through the gain channel, no boost, and no TS. It was good. Maybe I am just looking for more tones. Maybe more gain is not what I meant. I can get a decent scooped mids tone when I use my EQ pedal. Metallica "One" tone. I bought it for that song in the late 80's.

I get on the JJ site, watch the C30 videos, read up on the Blue Guitar mods, and think I need a change. I never GAS for anything when I am not on these boards. Then I change my mind about what I need every 5 minutes.

Thanks for the advice.

Have you guys changed the speakers out? I still have the Blue Marvel. I just watched Dcoopers video, he has a V30 speaker. Sounds good. Again, I feel I need change for no reason.

• Members

Beckman, hanging around music for a is a dangerous thing for sure and ultimately you need to trust your ears...

I like the C30 through a V30. I think it brings a rockier flavor to the mix.

Exactly. These boards are dangerous. I usually cut back in the summer because I am always out doing stuff. Around Christmas I start getting addicted again. I get on here, and get a bug up my ass about something and can't let it go.

With that said, I do think I want to try a V30 speaker though. I really like the videos.

• Members

When I had my Delta Blues, it had plenty of gain and boosted well, but it was the open back cab that really hurt it in the high gain dept. Look at getting a sealed 1X12 or 2X12 and running it into.

Totally different amp through a sealed cab.

Maybe I can get one with a V30.:idea:

• Members

Is it me, or is it funny that the OP has a C30 for sale in his sig?

What an idiot! :whisper:

You caught that huh? :facepalm: I never removed it. I put it up in the HCEG November SPAM thread, along with a guitar. I got one bite, it went nowhere, and I was too lazy to edit the sig. I guess I should get rid of it. I am keeping it. I wanted extra money for Christmas gifts for the kids.

Edit: It's removed.

• Members

Hi- I'm pretty new to this and interested to share my experience.....My C30 became a liability and I had Prof Rob Wienbrock Dr it in England. Since the installation of one of his ME-5s at a very reasonable cost I've had faultless performance and more gain than I can use. Now a top quality amp from out of the ashes- I should call her phoenix!!!

I recommend the change to anyone with similar set up!

• Members

Hi- I'm pretty new to this and interested to share my experience.....My C30 became a liability and I had Prof Rob Wienbrock Dr it in England. Since the installation of one of his ME-5s at a very reasonable cost I've had faultless performance and more gain than I can use. Now a top quality amp from out of the ashes- I should call her phoenix!!!

I recommend the change to anyone with similar set up!

I don't get it. Did he convert your C30 to one of his ME-5 circuits? Is a mod to the C30?

• Members

If you were looking for a speaker upgrade, I have a 16-Ohm WGS Reaper HP that I would sell to you for a good price. I really wanted to use it with my Classic 50, but I needed two 8-Ohm speakers in my combo....so it isn't getting any use. If you are interested, just PM me....

As far as getting a better distortion, I would recommend using a good overdrive pedal....I personally use a MXR MC-401 into both the clean and drive channel with good results. But for me, I cascade a distortion pedal (Tonerider BD-1) into the MXR MC-401 into the normal input on the clean channel with very good results! So for me a good distortion/overdrive pedal into a clean boost pedal into the front of the amp is my rig. Ultimately, what I found was that the clean boost after the distortion pedal made the distortion pedal seem more responsive and less compressed. This setup worked well with both my Tonerider British Distortion and a BBE Green Screamer overdrive pedal.

Cole

• Members
How much more gain do you need?

My C50 + a boost is more than enough gain, IMO, for just about any style of music.

Really, an unboosted C50 is
almost
there to begin with...I'm wondering if you're not running more gain than the songs require.

If you're already boosting the front end and still need more, your best bet is another amp.

Failing that, look into getting a dedicated distortion pedal like the Boss Power Stack (great sounding pedal, BTW)

• Members

Thanks for all the input. I think I need head to a store check a bunch of pedals out. I would love to get a new amp, but it is down on the list. My dream is to convert my C30 into a head (someone did this a while ago on HCEG), then get a good speaker cab, and get a few different low watt amp heads.

Archived