SF Fender Twin guys. Did I find a good deal?

thesinner66

• Members

I came across a Silver Face Twin Reverb. Unfortunately it's a master volume/pull knob version of the Twin Reverb. However when checking out the speakers in the amp. They looked like this.

clean-jbl-d120f-orange-frame-fender-guit

The place I found it has it tagged for $700. So far the things I'm finding are the speakers are worth $300 each (at least). Anyone else know anything about the speakers or the amp?

• Members

If it says "100 watts" on the back, it's fine.

If it says "130 watts" make sure you like it.

The speakers have extended high end. I think they sound like an icepick in the forehead with distorted sounds, but a lot of people love them for clean.

• Members

I didn't buy it yet. But if I did, I'd probably just buy it to turn it around and sell it after I had my fun w/ it. But I don't know too many people that would buy a Twin Reverb as a dirt machine Newholland!

:lol: me neither!

ALTHOUGH-- i do have some friends who've used 'em with softer speakers and dirt pedals and had some seriously amazing tones. best sound i ever heard was a 335 through a dual showman head and a 412 just turned all the way up... godlike! i dunno what was in that cab.. but it sounded amazing.

• Members

My Fender head is a bastard of mods. Someone put a 2nd master volume in a Quad Reverb. So when you crank up the preamp and orig master volume you get a decent amount of grit. Then when you boost it w/ an OD...it's actually pretty massive sounding w/ V30's and the 75 watt celestion in my Bogner cabinet.

• Members

I highly doubt you'd get 3 bills each for those JBLs. if you think you can I would sell them immediately and buy a couple replacements. the wattage ratings to look for on the back are 85w, 100w, 135w. I don't like JBLs or Altecs for guitar amps, maybe if I played pedal steel or country. Steve Jones used a cranked Twin with the Sex Pistols fwiw.

Archived