:Sigh: Ever have a live show recorded...

thesinner66

• Members

Then when you play it back, you find all of the mistakes you made and cringe?

We played a show a few months back, and the sound guy used one of those Korg digital 8 track recorders and ran everything from the board.

After another friend mixed the tracks up it sounds good! Then when I get to certain parts in songs...I {censored}ed up.

Now I'm trying to remember how/why I {censored}ed up.I Hit a lot of bum notes, cable got pulled out or the wireless unit went out, etc etc. Then I remembered...I spend a lot of time being animated/rocking out.

While I've had plenty experience in a "studio" setting. This is probably the first time I've heard myself play live. And I'm pissed.:facepalm:

• Members

I guess one thing I should mention is that we're a Surf band. So there are no vocals. This was one of our first shows and also probably one of our best shows so far (turnout wise and reception wise-70 people in the small club.) When you {censored} up w/ a cleanish guitar sound. It's really magnified.

Here's what I'm talking about.

http://snd.sc/eGI8LY

• Members

Haha yeah, that can be somewhat unflattering sometimes, i've been there too.

listening to the track you posted now, so far its AWESOME!!!! That is some {censored}ing rippin' clean tone you've got going on. what were you using here?

(oh, heard a little snag there you were talking about..... beh, no biggie)

• Members

Maybe it's because i am harshly critical of myself, but i usually have the opposite. I will go back and review video of a gig and find it was better than i thought it was.

Though i guess with more raunchy rock the errors won't be as noticeable as with something like what you're playing. :idk:

• Members

dont be pissed, just take it and learn from it. maybe hopping around like a clown isnt worth being sloppy

Couldn't disagree more.

As a fan of live music I'd prefer slop due to animation than perfection played by a statue.

I hate going to see a band live and they have their guitars up to their necks and hardly move at all, if I wanted that I could have just stayed home and thrown on a record while looking at a poster.

• Members
Maybe it's because i am harshly critical of myself, but i usually have the opposite. I will go back and review video of a gig and find it was better than i thought it was.

This is usually the case with my band too, but there have definitely been some cringe-worthy moments loll.....

We are kinda known for being trashy as hell though so it usually works out :lol::cop:

• Members

I don't know, for the style, i think this sounds 100% great.

Garagey flavoured surf is one of those things where too clean can sound just as bad as too loose. I hear the stumbles, but they are not catastrophic. Just sounds like rock and roll to me.

Sounds good!

• Members

Thanks guys. I think my issue is the fact that overall the quality of the recording is pretty good for what it is. My playing just isn't what I expected. I have kind of a feeling of when you take a dump and you look back and you think "Holy {censored} that came out of me??!!?"

And not in the proud, run down the hall and show your wife/gf...or both of them!

But the tone is my Fender Quad Reverb head (Essentially a SF Twin amp.) into my Bogner Cab.

I'm pleased w/ the tone however!

• Members

I know Exactly what you mean. Try being critical of yourself though when you're jumping around like an idiot. Here's a video of my band covering Motorhead in our own little way. When it comes to the solo I cringe soooooooo hard. There's soo many mistakes that are made. While some of them just wayyyy bad (especially the ending lol), it's those little things that kind of make live music cool. It's the little nuances that make live performances cool, IMO.

There are some pretty emberassing points, but w/e

• Members

Couldn't disagree more.

As a fan of live music I'd prefer slop due to animation than perfection played by a statue.

I hate going to see a band live and they have their guitars up to their necks and hardly move at all, if I wanted that I could have just stayed home and thrown on a record while looking at a poster.

its a fine line.. i dont like when guys stand their like a statue with blank stares on their face either, but im not really looking to hear a slopfest caused by hopping around either. the clip the op posted sounded fine to me so i dont think he should worry

• Members

Now I know why you hear about bands going in and over dubbing/ correcting parts in the studio when they release live stuff.

If anything it's given me motivation to go back to the woodshed and work out some stuff. Instead of just winging a solo I'm going to have to start working some stuff out since my #1 job is to play the guitar. Usually I've done the Guitar player/Singer thing and never really had to do leads.

• Members

its a fine line.. i dont like when guys stand their like a statue with blank stares on their face either, but im not really looking to hear a slopfest caused by hopping around either. the clip the op posted sounded fine to me so i dont think he should worry

Agreed.

• Members

Just realize this, no one enjoys watching a bunch of statues play live so putting on a good show with just a few mistakes is nothing to beat yourself up about

On the other hand if it was a slopfest the whole show you might want to think about tastfully putting on a live show and not try to do a backflip off the kick drum when you have a complex lick or riff

• Members

Just realize this, no one enjoys watching a bunch of statues play live so putting on a good show with just a few mistakes is nothing to beat yourself up about

On the other hand if it was a slopfest the whole show you might want to think about tastfully putting on a live show and not try to do a backflip off the kick drum when you have a complex lick or riff

Womerns likes back flips....

• Members

It's a good way to identify common mistakes the band may be making as a whole. We are sometimes overly self-critical which isn't a bad thing in the grand scheme of things. You just have to be prepared to hear from other band members common mistakes you made and vice versa band members able to take criticism at all.

A former band I was in couldn't take criticism of any kind. They had to read about it in more than a couple of reviews. Of couse, all the reviewers were idiots... yea... :rolleyes:

• Members
It's a good way to identify common mistakes the band may be making as a whole. We are sometimes overly self-critical which isn't a bad thing in the grand scheme of things. You just have to be prepared to hear from other band members common mistakes you made and vice versa band members able to take criticism at all.

A former band I was in couldn't take criticism of any kind. They had to read about it in more than a couple of reviews. Of couse, all the reviewers were idiots... yea...
:rolleyes:

Like this?

[video=youtube;s-j31YoEeRU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-j31YoEeRU

• Members

Also I listened to the clip and its fine man, only folks who would notice any problems would have been asshole musicians standing with their arms crossed.

Hate those A-holes, especially the dudes wearing the combat boots none laced metal heads that think they're the {censored}.

Archived