Talking about Preamps

Duesentrieb

• Members

The PCB of my Black Tiger arrived today - this way I can build some more than before - and with int. voltages.

A friend of mine was so nice to give me his midi and mute technology, so that I can switch more sophisticated things - and add midi of course.

Three channels - of course.

Here are two pics, more when it is running with a clip or two or three . . .

BTM1.jpg

BTM2.jpg

• Members

is there any sonic advantage to using the toroidal transformer vs the traditional "brick"? Or is it simply a matter of that's what fits in the enclosure?

I had a CAE 3+SE with a toroidal, and later had it swapped with a traditional PT.

they almost sounded identical. The toroid was slightly less noisy though, especially when in close proximity with the guitar.

Any "expert" who says toroidal trannies aren't "amplike" is a snake oil salesman.

• Members

Thank you guys. :)

The torroidal in a small housing like a 2RU has the big advantage of less hum. The field lines are going up, not into the preamp - a standard standing up PT send the EM lines all thru the preamp. Thats why a torroidal is (IMO - and I'm not alone on this one) perfect here.

• Members

Thank you guys.
:)

The torroidal in a small housing like a 2RU has the big advantage of less hum. The field lines are going up, not into the preamp - a standard standing up PT send the EM lines all thru the preamp. Thats why a torroidal is (IMO - and I'm not alone on this one) perfect here.

AMEN.

I've just about had enough of the transformer snobbery at other forums.

• Members

In a full amp the standard PTs have their advantages, thats mostly a question of their behaviour/properties when under the load of several hard driven power tubes and the filtering. In a preamp thats different though, just straight volts and minor current needed.

• Members

How did you determine the pcb layout? DId oyu work it out yourself with software, or did your manufacturer help with that?

I'd be interested to hear your opinions on the tone differences between your turret board prototype, and the finished pcb.

Hi Mick, a good friend of mine (a pro) layouted a 20 Watter from my schem last year - and from this and an afternoon in front of the screen with him I've learned to convert this preamp schem (which I've built before into PTP preamp, but without midi) with a PCB layout. I did that, he checked everything (and corrected few errors).

A well layouted PCB (as I did already with my "Little Joe", PTP and PCB) sounds as good and has the advantage that you can add things esp. in smaller things like preamps or smaller amp, because you don't need as much space/room as in a PTP design - but it is a science of its own and needs time to get into it. Fortunately I have a good teacher.

• Members

Yup. Wimas. Some are MKPs, some FKPs (1600V DC). Cheap, very reliable and they sound like a cap should sound. I'm not a "this cap sounds soandso" guy, it is IMO more a question of their actual values. Polypropylene.

The two yellow 220nF caps are polyester caps.

Archived