OT: Give me a practice regimen

Casey

• Members

I feel like I've hit a wall when it comes to lead playing. I know you don't need to know much other than pentatonics for rock n' roll, and it suits my music well, but I really feel like I need some solid practice to move on to the next level.

I'm a good guitarist. Mostly self-taught. I know the {censored}tiest part about being self taught is falling into bad habits, but if someone could outline a practice routine, say something intermediate, something i would probably be told to do if I were to start taking private lessons - that would be perfect and I would award you a million internets and some tits maybe.

Say I start setting aside an hour a day to practice, and you were getting paid to teach me, what would you tell me to do?

Inb4 metronome. I know, and am prepared to only practice with a metronome.

• Members

^A metronome is a great tool for getting your chops in shape and your technique better. Stick with it, it will pay off later. Also, do you know your diatonic scales? That IMO would be the next logical step for you, learning the major scale and all it's modes and how to apply them to chord progressions. That alone should open you up to a whole new world of possiblities and thinking.

• Members

Going to respectfully disagree. I'd like to get into the habit of playing a bit cleaner when I'm soloing, and i believe a metronome would in fact help with that.

for tighter rhythm i could see, but trying to solo with a metronome is just going to make you sound more mechanical and "stiff" even if it is cleaner imo.

• Members

I have a few that are pretty efficient. A lot of string skipping and complex alt. picking. Most students fail pretty hard at it, I just bust it out if they start bitching about not being challenged or something. Been teaching for 3 years.

• Members

I have a few that are pretty efficient. A lot of string skipping and complex alt. picking. Most students fail pretty hard at it, I just bust it out if they start bitching about not being challenged or something. Been teaching for 3 years.

If you have time please post em up. Thanks

Archived