Played a Slash amp yesterday

drewl

• Members

couple of people on the marshall boards are already having issues with this amp already, not good.

Yikes.....I forgot to ask how much these are going for, probably way overpriced for what it is.

One of my favorite best sounding amps I built is a 1987 that you can footswitch the extra gain stage in, making it a 2204 with dual footswitchable Ken Fisher style post phase inverter master volumes.

All point to point tag board, with relays for switching, it's quiet and versatile.

I built a combo version also out of an old 70's Marshall solid state 2x12 amp.

If Marshall could build something like this at a reasonable price I'm sure they could sell a ton.

• Members

The new Slash amp seems a bit... I dunno.

All new sig Marshalls seem to me to have this fakeness about them. I can't even really describe it. They just seem kinda off to me.

I do like Marshalls, but not any of their new designs. Pretty much everything they have released post DSL seems strange to me.

It's almost like they implemented a new method of getting the sounds out of them. Rather than actual circuits they seem to have managed it with filters and whatnot and every new design seems to have a plasticky, fakeness to it.

I really wish I could describe it better.

They managed a way somehow with the Vintage Modern to fake a more vintage style overdrive by smashing the phase inverter and then using clipping LED's in the return section. It seems like they are employing things like this nowadays rather than letting the natural behaviour of a good circuit get these tones.

Every sound from a new Marshall product sounds 'forced' to me. It's like they have taken 10 steps to reach a destination when all they needed to do was take one or two. It seems like the modes are all just varying filters and the such like that aren't really altering the circuits or anything. Just kind of applying a band-aid solution to a sound to get it to sound like something else.

The new Slash amp does sound quite accurate to his recorded tones. But aiming to recreate recorded tones.... Isnt that basically modelling the whole signal chain?

The amp, mic, pre's, desk, eq etc etc.

I bet the actual amp in question that was used to record it all with sound nothing like the AFD100 in the room.

Make sense??

I've jacketed up by the way so all the Marshall fanbois can have at it....
:rolleyes:

Strange: I have a friend that is a marshall fan and nothing more. He owned several from the silver jubilee and original plexis (really cheap in europe amps that you find easily) to reissues to even valvestates! The end it all marshall amp is the JVM for him. Yeah every amp that he had had its moment of glory but the JVM was instant goodness coherent through the volume range (cannot say that about the older amps especially) and he gigs all of them...The features on the JVM are incredible for the gigging guitarist. He does the roll to cleans volume trick if he wants to and the amp is good for that but having all these sounds and all of them being good enough or excellent? What more do you need.

By the way his next trial will be the slash amp probably as he is a fan but if you don't gig these amps better throw them away. Rest is bull{censored}.

• Members

The new Slash amp seems a bit... I dunno.

All new sig Marshalls seem to me to have this fakeness about them. I can't even really describe it. They just seem kinda off to me.

I do like Marshalls, but not any of their new designs. Pretty much everything they have released post DSL seems strange to me.

It's almost like they implemented a new method of getting the sounds out of them. Rather than actual circuits they seem to have managed it with filters and whatnot and every new design seems to have a plasticky, fakeness to it.

I really wish I could describe it better.

They managed a way somehow with the Vintage Modern to fake a more vintage style overdrive by smashing the phase inverter and then using clipping LED's in the return section. It seems like they are employing things like this nowadays rather than letting the natural behaviour of a good circuit get these tones.

Every sound from a new Marshall product sounds 'forced' to me. It's like they have taken 10 steps to reach a destination when all they needed to do was take one or two. It seems like the modes are all just varying filters and the such like that aren't really altering the circuits or anything. Just kind of applying a band-aid solution to a sound to get it to sound like something else.

The new Slash amp does sound quite accurate to his recorded tones. But aiming to recreate recorded tones.... Isnt that basically modelling the whole signal chain?

The amp, mic, pre's, desk, eq etc etc.

I bet the actual amp in question that was used to record it all with sound nothing like the AFD100 in the room.

Make sense??

I've jacketed up by the way so all the Marshall fanbois can have at it....
:rolleyes:

So basically unless its hand wired and contains Jimi Hendrix blood its not real?

You hate everything even the plexi reissue so maybe just accept that the bogner is the sound you like.

Also I cant help but think your head rules your ears sometimes, I mean that in a nice way it happens to all of us at times.

• Members

So basically unless its hand wired and contains Jimi Hendrix blood its not real?

You hate everything even the plexi reissue so maybe just accept that the bogner is the sound you like.

Also I cant help but think your head rules your ears sometimes, I mean that in a nice way it happens to all of us at times.

No. I listen with my ears.

Also. I said everything Post DSL.

That means I like pretty much everything before it.

It doesn't have to be handwired to sound good.

I liked my Plexi. It just didn't work out. It didn't work for me live. It had a lot of foibles that made it difficult for me to get what I wanted out of it. The sheer volume was one of them.

Hence I have gone down to a 20 watter.

I don't hate everything at all. That is a massive exaggeration. I am just very tuned in to what I need an amp to do. Not being a bedroom player, I tend to judge things more critically than most.

I after OWNING the TSL, VM and JVM, I think I am perfectly entitled to my opinion on them.

Just cos everybody loves every Marshall, doesn't mean to say that I have to.

Archived