Amps that are 'designed around modern valves'

Mr Songwriter

• Members

....I've seen this phrase bandied about on amp forums a few times and I've always wondered what it meant exactly, given that even today (IIRC) there are five different companies producing tubes...what aspects of the modern valves are they designing around? the reliability? susceptibility (or otherwise) to microphonics...ruggedness/tolerance to high plate currents etc? or do they just mean that the amp is voiced to work well with a particular brand of tube (the ones it came with?)

• Members

i think it generally means that the amps are designed to deal with garbage tubes that have entirely too much gain, wear out in 6 months (if they didn't come bad to begin with), and amps that have too many gain stages from go to compensate for the fact that most new stock tubes sound brittle and {censored}ty unless they're fed into 3 other stages because they were designed with an oscilloscope and not someones ears. :o

but seriously.. something approximating that.

• Members

Its more to do with vintage designs pushing valves to their limits and beyond and modern designs being more conservative.

As I've said before, if you draw a load line for a JMP you find that it gets nearly 100W from just a pair of EL34s so they run damn damn hot.

Old valve PA's used to red plate under the highest output and that was considered normal but no one would entertain that now.

• Members

i think it generally means that the amps are designed to deal with garbage tubes that have entirely too much gain, wear out in 6 months (if they didn't come bad to begin with), and amps that have too many gain stages from go to compensate for the fact that most new stock tubes sound brittle and {censored}ty unless they're fed into 3 other stages because they were designed with an oscilloscope and not someones ears.
:o

this..

• Members
i think it generally means that the amps are designed to deal with garbage tubes that have entirely too much gain, wear out in 6 months (if they didn't come bad to begin with), and amps that have too many gain stages from go to compensate for the fact that most new stock tubes sound brittle and {censored}ty unless they're fed into 3 other stages because they were designed with an oscilloscope and not someones ears.
:o

I was sort of expecting the answer to be something like this....guess we're just wasting our time trying to recreate those classic tones then. :cry:

Archived