Cabnit switching Question

Pablo1234

• Members

I have been playing with the roadking 2 and think its a killer head. I love the External Cab Selector per preamp thing. I'm just not sure if spending $2700 on a head is worth it.

What is the proper way to change cabnets in a tube power amp with Electrically controlled Switches? should I use SSR's, IGBT's or Relays. I'm thinking Relays would be the choice but I'm also thinking their should be a delay on the release of the reed on disconnect. That way you have both in at the same time instead of possibly having none on for a few Milliseconds.

Any one have schematics of a good circuit for this?

It would have to be electronically controlled so I could implement my Midi Controller circuits into the project I.E. no manual switches.

I use midi to switch between 4 different preamps and 2-3 channels per preamp. They go to my 4 Effects loops (all in stereo) and then I mix in Loop 1 & 2 with the Pre into 3 & 4. This then gets Routed between my Classic 30 and my old Fender PA 100 (I also need schematics so I can rebuild it, Its kinda noisy). The Classic 30 is connected to a 2x12 Sealed Cab and the Fender is Currently going to a 4x12 Cab with the speakers from a Fender Ultimate Chorus. I would Like to also get a 4x10 Cab and be able to switch it in and out.

• Members

You could do with relays, but there's a fact that make it a little trickier. The output of one amp will be left floating (at least one head at a time) and this could (or will) damaged the power amp section. You must use a dummy load everytime that one of your amp head's output is left floating. This is not as easy as it may looks.

CG

Archived