Axe-FX Standard arrived today! Thoroughly impressed so far....

Deaj

• Members

A question for guys with guitars with very different pickups (ie. singles, humbuckers, etc.): how much of a difference do the pickups make with the AxeFX? I remember in one of Zent's threads, his tele clip didn't have any twang in it...some guys complained and he explained, "oh, I dialed the twang out...hold on and I'll dial it back in and do another clip," and there it was again in the next clip. So how possible is it to simply dial out much of the differences in pickups with the AxeFX? Does it effectively change the qualities of pickups to simply being good/bad or clear/muddy rather than the various other descriptions that one would usually have for them?

Every one of my guitars comes through just as it would any other amp, no limitations there that I can detect.

• Members

Yes, you can basically look at it in three groups that flow like this: Preamp sim -> Poweramp sim -> Cab sim.

Each Amp block has both the preamp and poweramp portion of the amp in question modeled. So when you call up lets say the JCM800, you are calling up models of both the preamp and poweramp of a JCM800. The preamp section has all the controls you would expect to find and the power amp section gives you the ability to shape how the poweramp behaves independent of volume, meaning you can crank the virtual master volume way up to get power amp breakup. This works exactly how it should work with the amp in question i.e. a cranked master sounds awesome with most of the British based models (AC30, Marshalls, Soldano etc) but is fairly undesirable for most of the American/German models (Recto, Mark Series, ENGL, 5150) as it tends to make them more muddy and loose, just like the real thing since they were designed mostly around preamp gain into a clean power section.

The Cab sims are completely separate and consist only of mic and speaker impulses.

Every one of my guitars comes through just as it would any other amp, no limitations there that I can detect.

Dude...im down! once my pp munniez hit my acct. cha chang!!

• Members

Pretty much exactly this. Could not have said it better. When dialed up to my taste, the Axe Fx makes me want to actually play/record. I've been through every plugin out there and some have
sounded
pretty good as a end result. But they never once
felt
inspirational during a performance, in fact it was more of a fight. There is a difference, but I'm too dumb to explain it properly.

Interesting. I downloaded some pluggins that people said were good to see how I jived with the whole modelling thing and ya, they sound ok but the feel completely killed my snax gas. This gives me hope that may start the gas bubbling again...

• Members

Dude...im down! once my pp munniez hit my acct. cha chang!!

Cool! I recommend downloading the manual first and getting familiar with how it works, that way you're more prepared right off the bat as its definitely a complex unit.

• Members

Going on a year and a half of using mine. Got a BF Fender, Mrak IV, and a 70s Marshall sitting around doing nothing. I probably won't sell them because I never sell anything, but the Axe has them all beat in terms of versatility, ease of setup, and in a lot of cases tone. Love the thing.

• Members

Interesting. I downloaded some pluggins that people said were good to see how I jived with the whole modelling thing and ya, they sound ok but the feel completely killed my snax gas. This gives me hope that may start the gas bubbling again...

See, that's what happened to me too. After using a plugins that where allegedly comparible to the Axe-FX, I thought there would be no way I would spend $1400 on a piece of modeling hardware if it gave me those same mediocre results. But, I figured because they are so hot right now I could quickly unload it and get my money back, should the Axe FX turn out to be a horrible digital dud. It was really a last ditch effort to see if there were any modelers capable of competing with a "real amp" - the type that actually pushes air around...if you know what I mean. I'm a grumpy old purist, but even I was more than impressed by this whole Axe experience. Is it perfect? No, but its goddam close.

There's no way I would go back a plugin. Again, its not to say that plugins suck and can't sound good, but I do question if they can feel good. The Axe just seems to be in a whole other class. Maybe in a few years plugins will catch up to a stand-alone unit, but I'm not getting any younger and I was just fed up with them. I had zero fun with plugins and they killed the desire to make music that way. The Axe Fx solved this problem.

When you add in thrid party cab sims like Redwirez the tweaking possiblilites go through the roof. Almost too much...but I'm the type that actually likes to go squirel hunting with a shotgun.

Now, having just sounded like a freakin' Axe Fx infomercial, here's the other side. It's not a magic bullet and it won't make you play like a god. Its a great tool and the more you put in to it, the more you will get out of it. It can be a little daunting at times, but once you get over the learning curve, the Axe will get out of your way and allow you to just shutup and play yer guitar.:lol:

my 2 cents.

• Members

for anyone getting an Axe-FX, I've got an RCF-312a loudspeaker that is considered one of the better FRFR speakers for the Axe. It DOES sound excellent, and having owned an atomic before it, the RCF is more detailed.

just PM me if interested.

• Members

Change in plan: I ordered an Ultra this evening and I'm going to return the Standard.

Today I ran into a few scenarios where I either didn't have a feature available while building a patch, grabbed a few patches off of Axe-Excange that I wasn't able to utilize in whole but demo'ing pieces at a time I wanted to be able to evaluate their utility in full, and finally ran short on processing power while building a patch I would definitely make use of IF I were able to. Most of this didn't matter to me as I was just playing around with sounds I'd have no practical use for. Running out of processing power building something I would definitely use after a bit of refinement was what tipped the scales. I had the means to sport for the Ultra when I bought the Axe-FX. I just did not foresee the need for the Ultra. Oops!

I suppose I could have saved myself the cost of shipping back and forth on the Standard if I had purchased the Ultra 'just in case' but it just didn't seem worth an extra $500 for 'just in case' at the time. It does now! Since I've now seen fit to pay that additional $500 I'll definitely be playing around with the additional features in the Ultra to see if I can find uses for any of them. At the very least I'll be able to demo any patch shared on Axe-Exchange. Oh well - live and learn. :)

• Members

A question for guys with guitars with very different pickups (ie. singles, humbuckers, etc.): how much of a difference do the pickups make with the AxeFX? I remember in one of Zent's threads, his tele clip didn't have any twang in it...some guys complained and he explained, "oh, I dialed the twang out...hold on and I'll dial it back in and do another clip," and there it was again in the next clip. So how possible is it to simply dial out much of the differences in pickups with the AxeFX? Does it effectively change the qualities of pickups to simply being good/bad or clear/muddy rather than the various other descriptions that one would usually have for them?

Here is a quick test I did on a plexi patch. I flicked between chords on my Edwards Les paul copy both humbuckers but you can really hear the difference on the out put, even more so on different guitar pick up combinations, I also tried it on my 2 strats (though not recorded).

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=9077893

• Members

Great example! The Axe-FX's fidelity allows so much subtle detail to be heard. It can be difficult to capture so much detail mic'ing an amp in an untreated room with 'pro-sumer' lever mic pre's and A/D-D/A converters. The Axe-Fx gives any guitarist the ability to get recording results most of us simply don't have the time, money, equipment, and experience to get.

Here is a quick test I did on a plexi patch. I flicked between chords on my Edwards Les paul copy both humbuckers but you can really hear the difference on the out put, even more so on different guitar pick up combinations, I also tried it on my 2 strats (though not recorded).

Archived