any looove for the contoversial solidstate MARSHALL MODE-FOUR?

lumpy555

• Members

IMO if you can find one dirt cheap you can't go wrong. Here's a (possibly) more controversial head: Fender MH. I posted something about them a year ago and pretty much everyone {censored} on it, but I played with a band that uses them this weekend and I stand by what I say about them: THEY KICK ASS. Very surprising for what they are. I haven't heard a Mode Four sound as good as the Fender MH.

Check it out yourself (band is Organic M):

OkKOTg0xKuo

X0jLw3yzcyQ

• Members

Here's a (possibly) more controversial head: Fender MH.

I remember that one too. It's funny to see how threads either appraising the tone of that amp, or completely loathing it, take turns. The story of people turning their jackets on that is about the same: The Metalhead was condemned to be a crappy amp before it actually even hit the shops or before people even heard or tried it. Simply the facts that it was solid-state design and a high-gain metal amp from Fender was enough. (You know, Fender should never make a high-gain metal amp, they should stick to making replicas of the 1950's tweed amps. Damn those Fender guys performing such sacrilege!! :mad::rolleyes:).

When people actually heard it being used in bandmix context they actually thought it was a pretty damn good product and a great sounding amp for its type. It hung with just about any similar tube amp, though to its initial unfortune, price-wise as well: The level of butthurt was enormous when people realized they couldn't buy a great SS amp with quarter of a price of equally great tube amp.

Also, in before people mention another opinion divider: ISP Theta amps.

• Members

Yep, I've seen guys get good metal tones with the MH too :lol: I've played one before a few times, it's not going to be great for lower gain sounds but if you just want metal, it can do it no problem. I don't know how much they were new, but I could see it being a good backup for a metal guy if you can get a deal on one used kinda thing. I did remember it being quite noisy though, fwiw.

Archived