Jackson KV2 vs ESP NV Std

metalaxe

• Members

one clip is the Jackson, the other one the ESP, same pickups, same strings etc....which one do you prefer?

A

B

both have a maple neck, alder body, ebony fretboard, neck through construction...
the differences:

JAckson neck/body-joint: 20th fret, FR trem

ESP: n/b-joint: 23rd fret, Kahler Trem

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by OceansBetweenUs View Post
I hate to say A because I'm an ESP fanboy at heart, but they sound very similar. The B seemed a touch muddier though.
I never said A is ESP

you really think B is muddier? I think A is muddier/Beefier, B is leaner but has more bite

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by OceansBetweenUs View Post
Sorry for the unclear response, was too lazy to edit. I think A sounds better, but hate to say that I like A because I like ESP guitars better than Jacksons.
yeah, but I still don't get it (or you don'twink.gif)...

"I hate to say A because I prefer ESP"....that'd mean you know what A and B is?

A can be ESP OR Jackson, I never said which clip is which guitar!

Satannica:

they're both magnificent instruments, you can't go wrong with either (I've replaced the duncons in the KV2 with EMGs though, not a fan of the SH4).

both play VERY nice, the strings on the NV STD feel a bit softer (probably because of the Kahler), The NV has only one volume pot, a feature I really like, keeps me from checking the tone pot all the time when playing live smile.gif
the neck on the KV is a tiny bit slimmer (not by much), but the access on the higher frets is better on the NV (not problem at all up to the 24th)...the unfinished neck of the NV is also a nice feature....
Kahler and Floyd are both good, I slightly prefer the floyd, but that's only cause I'm very used to playing floyds

• Members

LOL.

Cheers for the PM sir, I am enlightened!

Now I'm home and have some decent monitors...
A: It has a little more in the mid-range than B and overall I think just a touch darker. But I think that makes it a little fizzier...
B: Definitely has more balance overall.

I think for the first riff you played, A is the nicer one to listen to, but the fast ditty at the end, B is the nicer.

Of the two, I think I still prefer A overall! I would love to hear excessive amounts of clips of both though biggrin.gif

I've owned a couple of KV2s and absolutely loved them, but their prices have gotten a little stupid...

• Members

I could go with either depending on my mood but all things being equal I like the extra chunk of A; its beefier without being sloppier to my ears, and has a nice growl to the low mids. B has a bit more 1-ish-khz inyourfaceness that can be better or worse depending what youre after, but all things being equal I'll go for growly and meaty over inyourfacy grindy.

They are, all that said, fairly similar though. Less so that I expected, but similar.

Goes to show poeple that say 'emgs make guitars sound the same' need an ear upgrade; same almost everything in the guitars and there are still clear differences.

And for a laugh, I'm going to guess that A is the ESP and B is the jackson, because, if they're set up well, khallers tend to let a guitar be meatier and beefier whereas FRs tend to be a bit middier sounding. In my experience at least.

PS B is a bit out of tune wink.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by superflyinmonke View Post

That being said, I could find some differences between them, but these differences would be found if you had two guitars of the same make and model to compare as well.
And often overlooked fact thumb.gif

On paper spec is just a guide, its the exact guitar in question that matters.

Archived