1 x 12" cab versus 4 x 12" - all with the same speaker

Mr Songwriter

• Members

Yes a 1x12 usually will sound different. Ive found 1x12s to have a little more highs and sound more "upfront" or direct. A 4x12 has more "bass" and fullness to it. I also found that 4x12s sound vary a lot more than 1x12s based on the design.

• Members

Interesting, I don't think I've ever tried a ported or oversized cab before, might have to check one out.

I would expect 4 x 12's to be louder and fuller, but I'm also interested in any possible changes in tone...

The reason I ask is because I bought an amp the other day, the amp sounded great through the 4 x 12" in the shop...but not so great when I played it through single speakers at home (at home I tried it with a Celestion century G12, a Celestion 70/80 and a Jensen C12) the clean sound was OK, but the OD sound was a lot harsher and more 'razory' than it was in the shop. The cab in the shop was a Blackstar loaded with (I think) Vintage 30's, the only other difference was that the 4 x 12" was running at 16 ohms (the speakers I used at home were all 8 ohms)

..I'm just wondering whether the 4 x 12 in the shop sounded better because of: a) Different type of speaker b) the fact that it was a 4 x 12" (less speaker distortion?) or c) different impedance (bit of a longshot)

• Members

Interesting, I don't think I've ever tried a ported or oversized cab before, might have to check one out.

I would expect 4 x 12's to be louder and fuller, but I'm also interested in any possible changes in tone...

The reason I ask is because I bought an amp the other day, the amp sounded great through the 4 x 12" in the shop...but not so great when I played it through single speakers at home (at home I tried it with a Celestion century G12, a Celestion 70/80 and a Jensen C12) the clean sound was OK, but the OD sound was a lot harsher and more 'razory' than it was in the shop. The cab in the shop was a Blackstar loaded with (I think) Vintage 30's, the only other difference was that the 4 x 12" was running at 16 ohms (the speakers I used at home were all 8 ohms)

..I'm just wondering whether the 4 x 12 in the shop sounded better because of: a) Different type of speaker b) the fact that it was a 4 x 12" (less speaker distortion?) or c) different impedance (bit of a longshot)

Both affects the sound, so yes the V30's and 4x12 probably made it sound better. What amp is this?

• Members

Both affects the sound, so yes the V30's and 4x12 probably made it sound better. What amp is this?

It's a Hayden Mofo 30. What I'm wondering is - if I want to replicate the sound I was getting in the shop, am I going to have to buy the cab I played it through, or could I get away with just buying one Vintage 30?

I'm also wondering if driving just one speaker (instead of four) meant you would be more likely to get speaker distortion, though the difference I'm talking about here was evident at fairly low volumes (didn't think speaker distortion came into play until you really cranked the amp)

Edit: I've just noticed they use one Greenback in the combo version of this amp.

Archived