What is the "PC" and "TC" number mean on Power Tubes?

iloveespguitars

• Members

I believe the TC stands for transconductance.

From the wiki:

For vacuum tubes, transconductance is defined as the change in the plate(anode)/cathode current divided by the corresponding change in the grid/cathode voltage, with a constant plate(anode)/cathode voltage. Typical values of gm for a small-signal vacuum tube are 1 to 10 millisiemens.

Not really sure what the PC is, but if you need to replace tubes just go ahead and get a whole set and be done with it. It'll save you a load of trouble in the future.

• Members

So heres a dumb question, if you got new power amp tubes, with similar or even exact TC and PC as the tubes in your amp, would you still have to bias them?

Some people say that you don't have to rebias if you can get a new set of power tubes that are an exact match to the brand/ratings you had before; however, I would still rebias the amp.

• Members

Yeah, it only takes like 10 minutes to bias an amp. So I don't understand why people are always trying to find an excuse to NOT do it...

I don't have the tools or knowledge to do it. It hasn't really been an issue because my main amp for the last 6 years was a fixed, non adjustable bias, but my newest amp is adjustable. I may need to look in to this...

• Members

I don't have the tools or knowledge to do it. It hasn't really been an issue because my main amp for the last 6 years was a fixed, non adjustable bias, but my newest amp is adjustable. I may need to look in to this...

Look up the Amp Head Dual Bias Tester MPD. That, along with a cheap Multimeter, will allow just about anyone to bias a tube amp. Just follow the directions carefully and pay attention to what you are doing.

• Members

The only tools you need to bias an amp are a meter (which you can get a radio shack) and a screwdriver. The specific method you use, however, will depend on the amp.

Archived