Mesa Mark V Gut Shots

Wizard of Ozz

• Members

i was kind of surprised to see pcb mounted pots and sockets upon opening my orange :eek:

but you ever want to see one of the most rugged PCBs ive ever seen in consumer electronics, open my amp up. the traces are like 5mm wide, the board itself could be used as a foundation for a house. massively overbuilt in the best of ways.

this here is cutting edge amp design though.

• Members

Actually a friend has a markIIb coli... transformer is actually a bit smaller.

Yes, and it feels as if it weighs as much or more than a Hughes and Kettner triamp which is the next heaviest head i've carried.

I'll get back to you on an exact amount

No! You do NAO!

• Members

I've owned all the Mark series amps since my old Red stripe ('86 IIRC) including both a Mark IVA and Mark IVB and now my first run Mark V and IMO, while they're all different I dig my V the most but here's the caveat... I didn't till I got the right tubes in it.

EL-34's and my mix of preamp tubes (Mostly Tung Sol reissues and a couple of NOS 12AT7's driving the reverb and PI) and it sounds incredible. With the {censored} mesa tubes not so much.

• Members

Aside from a scale used for fish up to 20 pounds I have no weight measuring devices here
:(

Mainly because I look at myself in the mirror to determine weight.

If we could get that in curics, that would be great.....

• Members

Holy Shite
:eek:
Very kewl, but i hope i never have to trouble-shoot one of those, reminds me of a Marshall 6100, but better made.
:wave:

We've had about 7-8 Mark Vs serviced/repaired so far. They are a TOTAL PITA to work on! Avoid at all costs. The 6100 is much better.

• Members

We've had about 7-8 Mark Vs serviced/repaired so far. They are a TOTAL PITA to work on! Avoid at all costs. The 6100 is much better.

Well, in the event that I ever need it (unlikely given the 20 or so years of stellar boogies I've owned) I'll just drive down and stay with my cousins or uncle in the bay area and drop it off and get a factory tour and let Boogie deal with it. Mike B is a nice guy.

I've been needing a vacation anyway and it's only a 4 hour drive.

Archived