Roland JC120 / Roland Cube

bfloyd6969

• Members

I have always wanted the popular Roland JC 120 but funds have always hindered. I have always read that the JC 120 with the pedals of choice in front of it is pretty much unstopable. So, I eventually picked up a Roland Cube 30X. The Cube 30X has a setting for simulating the JC120, but to those that have played both, how close is the Cube 30X JC 120 setting to the real thing? What makes the real JC 120 that much better? I appreciate any and all comments. Thanks.

• Members

A Fleshlight is a simulation of a vagina. Tell me; which one is better?

The JC 120 is the cleanest clean amp $1000 can buy. It's also incredibly rugged & tour-proven. Almost every big name studio has at least 1 JC 120 in its arsenal. I'm so tired right now I can't even hardly type, so I'm gonna let somebody else jump in here. g'nite Johnboy

• Members

JC-120 isn't a single amp. It's a design that has been evolving since mid 1970's and so far there are at least five JC-120 models that are totally different from one another and several others that are more or less "in between". Except for looks, which have remained about the same. The problem is, there really isn't a benchmark for evaluating JC-120's: one from late 1970's will sound very different than one from mid 1980's: Not all of them are pristinely clean and "sterile", some interact with speakers, the chorus has different vibe in some of them, the distortion circuit may be entirely different and range from decent to totally unsusable, etc.

• Members

Thanks for the replies everyone. I figured that the Cube would not come close to the JC, but just wanted to know how far off it was. That's interesting about the evolution of the JC 120. Here I thought they have always been the same. It seems there are some other amps that have JC 120 simulations so I wonder which year they are all going after :) I once owned a JC 60 (or was it 90) many, many years ago that I really liked - just forgot the exact characteristics of that amp of why I liked it so much...

Archived