Photoshop, GIMP, paintshop?

Cap'n Ahole

• Members

I use GIMP

and there is a reason you'll rarely see original content photos from me that have been edited.

Because it has A STEEP learning curve, having someone experienced with it to guide you through can really help though.

and the fact it is free is nice.

• Members

I use GIMP

and there is a reason you'll rarely see original content photos from me that have been edited.

Because it has A STEEP learning curve, having someone experienced with it to guide you through can really help though.

and the fact it is free is nice.

I have gIMP. It is pretty amazing for free software. I can barely resize an avatar with it as its pretty complex and I just don't have the desire to learn how to properly use it.

Its really powerful, and its free, but it is not beginner friendly. I have no idea how its interface/commands/etc. compare to photoshop.

• Members

True...

Is it a resource hog?

not really, there are some excellent tutorials available and many are step by step and very descriptive.

I use it mostly for posters and sticker/cut out designs but never too complex.

It runs smoothly on my mac.

• Members

not really, there are some excellent tutorials available and many are step by step and very descriptive.

I use it mostly for posters and sticker/cut out designs but never too complex.

It runs smoothly on my mac.

What THEE HAMMER said except it runs smoothly on my Ubuntu box that only has 2 gig of RAM. I never have pushed it, but it doesn't suck up too much memory or anything just with the light use I put it to.

• Members

What THEE HAMMER said except it runs smoothly on my Ubuntu box that only has 2 gig of RAM. I never have pushed it, but it doesn't suck up too much memory or anything just with the light use I put it to.

Right on, sounds worth a try then.. & thanks for the info guys! :thu:

• Members

+1 For Paintshop Pro. Not the insane pricing of Photoshop, scripting support in Python, plenty of power, some vector graphics, and the personal biggie for me: supports pressure-sensitive Wacom tablets, which the GIMP on Windows did NOT the last time I looked at it.

• Members

+1 For Paintshop Pro. Not the insane pricing of Photoshop, scripting support in Python, plenty of power, some vector graphics, and the personal biggie for me: supports pressure-sensitive Wacom tablets, which the GIMP on Windows did NOT the last time I looked at it.

HOLY {censored} PSP is 39.99!!!

http://store1.corel.com/corel/product/index.jsp?pid=prod3930073&cid=catalog20038&skuId=PK_TU13ENESD

• Members

Various Photo enhancements & manipulations, creation of cards, adds, flyers, album covers, & other bull{censored}...

I use Gimp, and Picasa on my PC. Iphoto on my mac. That's it.

Gimp is NOT fun until you figure it out.

That said, my 9 year old uses it. They used it in her 3rd grade art class. She taught me how to use it. :lol:

Our children are making us obsolete.

• Members

I slapped "The Gimp" on the PC & it aint that bad.. I only {censored}ed around with color adj & basics like that, but it was just fine. Seems like at least if you have some familiarity with Photoshop its not hard to get around in. But would still take some learning. Unbeatable for free.

PaintShopPro WAS a lot more intuitive when I used it in the past, but when it came to sending stuff to other graphics professionals, they had format incompatibilities & I had to default to photoshop. :(

• Members

Photoshop has some powerful tools neither of the other two have, and supports 32 bit colour (GIMP doesn't).

Honestly, if you're doing it on a professional level, Photoshop is the industry standard for a reason.

However, for a bit of photo editing, GIMP works very well, and has some cool plugins and scripts available that make it less fiddly.

I use GIMP for my photo editing, as I simply don't do enough of it to justify spending

Archived