Cab sim: emulation vs. impulse response [video]

larips

• Members

Did a quick test using Blackstar HT-5, recorded one take, two signals:

1. Emulated output 4x12 -> computer

2. FX loop send -> Boogex + Guitarshacks IR cab sim (settings in the vid)

[video=youtube;714ofKn9e3A]

Blackstar settings were probably a bad compromise for both sounds and thus they both are a bit quirky/harsh, but I like the little "hair" the IR (and possibly Boogex poweramp sim) seems to add. Blackstar's emulated ouput is so overtly sterile in a way.

BTW, this was the first time I'm using IRs with Blackstar so I hope I'm able to improve quite a bit from this.

• Members

I don't see how that demo tells anything else but the fact that the cab emulation of the HT and the cab emulation made with IR have very different responses and hence sound quite different.

Pretty much the same response you'd get from trying the thing with a handful of different speaker cabs.

If you prefer the IR then you can get to that ballpark by boosting the treble and scooping the mids on the HT, which would make it sound a bit less boxy.

None of the clips sound more "real" than the other. You can mainly just hear the overall response was different in both.

• Members

I don't see how that demo tells anything else but the fact that the cab emulation of the HT and the cab emulation made with IR have very different responses and hence sound quite different.

I don't know if it should tell anything else.

Archived