Has anyone worked at a Music-go-round?

thesinner66

• Members

I may have an opportunity to pick up some hours at one that just opened up in my town and was curious at what you guys thought of the business as a customer as well as possible former employees.

They only deal in used gear, which can be a nightmare repair wise. And I would not be taking that responsibility up! I'll restring some stuff, but I wouldn't deal w/ some of the pieces of {censored} that come into the place.

I wouldn't quit my full time gig as a 911 operator. But I just need to make some extra cash to pay off some bills, save some money and possibly buy some cool gear when it comes along!

Anyone have experience w/ the Guitar Center version of a pawn shop?

• Members

was about to post a thread about whether or not woorking at GC would be a good idea, since a new one is opening near me. somewhat relevant to this. i know many music shop workers are idots/sleezeballs, but what happens when someone who knows their {censored} and isnt an asshole gets a job there? suicide or profit?

• Members

was about to post a thread about whether or not woorking at GC would be a good idea, since a new one is opening near me. somewhat relevant to this. i know many music shop workers are idots/sleezeballs, but what happens when someone who knows their {censored} and isnt an asshole gets a job there? suicide or profit?

That's what I mean. I don't know everything. I'll admit that. But I know enough and know that I could do a good job at selling anything in the shop.

• Members

There's also just that sting of having to work in a chain store that opened up and the potential of helping put some of the decent independent businesses that are in town that are good people and some of them friends. But hey...they aren't hiring!

• Members

well here in austin, theres not too much of a worry about that. plus most of the local mom and pops that do well sell good gear that GC doesnt, and the ones that dont, sell trombones and {censored}. so there is an equillibrium attained. GC doesnt affect much here.

• Members

I know I could run circles around the guys they have now. One guy I spoke w/ said that the main guys in the place are drummers and there are very few guys that are able to "talk guitar." w/ customers. And probably 70 percent of their business is guitar!

• Members

At least at music go round, their prices aren't insane when it comes to them reselling things. While I'm not a fan of the brand, there are some Crate tube amps in the shop for like $250. Now a kid w/ little money could buy their first tube amp for the same price they would be paying for a solid state or modeling amp at that price.

• Members

I recently started a job in sales (by choice) and have to say although I love it it's not an easy way to pick up extra money! Product knowledge is only a small part of successful selling and if you're not selling you won't last long and will get frustrated very fast! IMHO building value in whatever product you sell is the most important aspect in sales, with customer service a close second. The next time you buy something from a good salesman listen to the words they use and how they say them, and you will be surprised how your emotions come into play. A good deal is not only about price and most of my customers pay full price for their products. That is because they have learned the value of the product.

Archived