NAD!!!! (Bad Cat content)

breakingstring

• Members

35jc64h.jpg

After being Ampless for quite a while, I picked up this 2003 Bad Cat Hot Cat 30 for a good price. I'd not actually played one before, so kind of took a risk on it.

Anyway, the first thing I did before even turning it on, was to take it to band practice!

I'm pretty damn happy with it so far. Gain wise I can see where the accusations of it being a bit 'buzzy' come from, but it's pretty easy to get rid of if you know how the tone controls work. Everything does seem to affect everything. The 'level' knob seems to make the amp more bassy and a little looser as you turn it up, for example. And I think it really shines in a band mix, where it should be played. I like how aggressive yet musical it sounds, it's pretty much perfect for what I do. It also has a {censored}load of gain.

The cleans are amazing, probably close to the best I've ever heard, just a volume knob and presence control. Can't really fault them. Breaks up wonderfully too.

The only thing I can really criticise right now is the fact that it is outrageously heavy! I have no idea how they made a 1x12 combo weigh this much, it makes some Mesa combos seem light. Probably something to do with those massive transformers. It's very well made, though.

• Members

Congratulations!

Steven Wilson of Porcupine Tree uses a Bad Cat, that mixed with John Wesley's Fortin modded Marshall is one of my favourite live tones! Awesome stuff. How much did you get it for? I was thinking about saving up for a Bad Cat head at some point.

• Members

Congratulations!

Steven Wilson of Porcupine Tree uses a Bad Cat, that mixed with John Wesley's Fortin modded Marshall is one of my favourite live tones! Awesome stuff. How much did you get it for? I was thinking about saving up for a Bad Cat head at some point.

I think he's used both the Hot Cat and Lynx at some point. It was

• Members

Congrats -- I've owned two Hot Cat's and currently own a Lynx 50. Bad Cat makes some top quality gear.

The Hot Cat's lean more Recto gain wise, while the Lynx leans Marshall -- both amps have amazing clean channels.

• Members

That's a crazy price!

I had a bit of a look at the Bad Cat stuff, but I'm not sure if I would have liked the voicing. Not that it's bad. Far from it. I get the impression it will always sound like itself if that makes sense. Has a very definite character, doesn't deviate from it. Etc. Regardless. Great amp. I just decided that Bogner is more my thing. Congrats!

Archived