What's a good 6 string for extremely low tuning? (drop A, A#)

soilent

• Members

i think they call that a 'bass'.

:lol:

i went to my local tech's shop about a month ago and this kid, probably 15 or 16, had the low-end Ibby 8 string in there and was basically asking my/the tech "how to work it" and what strings should he get, and tunings, etc.. probably read something on here that was 8 string related and went and got one and don't have a fuggin' clue what he's doing :facepalm:

low .80 string on a guitar?? got damm son :lol:

of course, my two lowest strings are a .158 B tuned to A and a .124 E tuned to C but still... :cop:

for me, scale length is irrelevant. it's all about string composition. i use a custom set of Circle K's and on my 34" Spector our drop tuning (even down to drop F# and Bb) kicks ass. tho, like has been said if you want skinny(er) sets, get something w/ an extended scale.

• Members
low .80 string on a guitar?? got damm son
:lol:

I once used a .70 for a low A on a 7-string, but I did that because it was a fixed bridge guitar without locking tuners, so I wanted to maintain string tension. Worked very well...but an .80 seems a bit much.

• Members

If you have a Fender or Fender type guitar, a baritone conversion neck is always an option. Warmoth and All Parts make them, and a few other companies. Also, here is a link to a builder on ebay. They start off unfinished at $65. As soon as I have some coin I'll be ordering one. Although that may be awhile, job situation pending.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/USA-Custom-Baritone-necks-starting-65-w-options-/150654114812?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item2313af5bfc

Archived