MFX Question: Mostly POD HD series

Casey

• Members

I'm not here a lot so I'm sure these threads have come and gone a million times. Why not search for an old thread? Because I want YOUR opinions after those of you who bought em have had em for a bit and let em sink in.

I'm been using an XT live for the past 4 years. It's treated me quite well but I think I'm ready to upgrade. I play in an original band where I just use effects, no amp models and do acoustic cover sets for extra cash (I'd be using the looper here). HD400 on the CL for 250. seems like a good deal. brand new. Any reason I should spring for the 500 instead?

A point I would like addressed is the durability of the line 6 floor units as I've had to repair mine several times over the years.

I guess if you really have the urge, you can try to sell me on one of the other popular mfx products out there right now. I've got the money, I'm ready to go shoppin! Lemme know hcaf!

• Members

Why would anyone buy a PodHD for effects? Get the M9 or M13. It's the same effects in a standalone unit.

Same price but comes with an expression pedal, more effects at a time.

I think there are a few other major differences, but those are the main ones that stand out in my head. A lot of people have traded an M13 for a HD500...

• Members

Same price but comes with an expression pedal, more effects at a time.

I think there are a few other major differences, but those are the main ones that stand out in my head. A lot of people have traded an M13 for a HD500...

The M13 is so much easier to use on the fly/live that I would go for that in an instant over the HD500 if all I wanted was the effects. Try reaching down to your pedalboard during a gig to tweak the HD500. With the M13 you just twist the knob and you're done. Beyond that, the HD500 boasts 8 effects at a time, but you can't realistically do that with most effects without hitting CPU problems. Besides, I can't see how many people would want to use more than 4 effects at once.

Now, all of that said, I had to choose a multieffects unit about a year ago and I bought neither. I chose the TC Nova System.

• Members

I will say that you can do 8 effects pretty easily when you turn off the amp sims. The amp sims are the DSP killers. Ease of use is up to the user.

I am not saying I love it more than anything else, or saying it is the best there is. I am just echoing what I have read, since I keep up on the HD500 talk since I have one.

I'd like a own a TC Electronics unit sometime. I am sure they have some clean sounding effects. I would miss the weird-ness of the HD though, like the synths, filters, whammy, etc... TC is very basic...

• Members

I was originally in the market for the M13. I tried a few who were selling used but all decided that as Line 6 raised prices, they were no-longer selling it the prices advertised. A fair few on here and on gumtree turned on deals I was trying to get through.

So, I was faced with either buy a new M13, or save

• Members

The M13 is so much easier to use on the fly/live that I would go for that in an instant over the HD500 if all I wanted was the effects. Try reaching down to your pedalboard during a gig to tweak the HD500. With the M13 you just twist the knob and you're done. Beyond that, the HD500 boasts 8 effects at a time, but you can't realistically do that with most effects without hitting CPU problems. Besides, I can't see how many people would want to use more than 4 effects at once.

Now, all of that said, I had to choose a multieffects unit about a year ago and I bought neither. I chose the TC Nova System.

I'm in disagreement with you slightly. I don't see much value in the M13 as the HD500 is there. Believe me, I spent a week of heading to my local store after work to tie up a whole bunch of gear to test out! It's not really like it's hard to tweak your patches on the HD500, granted the M13 is slightly easier. But I don't recall having many incidents where I've just had to change anything about my patches once I have them dialled in.

I found an easier practise was to keep my laptop with me for a few rehearsals and if I really needed to tweak anything, I could just do it on L6Edit.

I haven't actually changed any of my patches about in about a year. All the same ones, bar two new ones I put on for certain songs.

I'm sure the M13 is more than capable, but IMO, the HD500 still represents the better deal entirely!

• Members

Like others have said, I'd probably just save for the HD500, but that is a pretty good price for a 400.

You could also check out one of these, they have been getting lots of praise-

It has a smaller footprint too.

Will check it out!

Any word on durability folks?

• Members

maybe buy it for that price, see if you jive with it! if you need more from the HD500 sell it for more than what you payed and nab a HD500!

4 cable method is pretty damn awesome too. But I really wish the HD series had user loadable IR's.... I would have bought one when they came out if they did. For now i'm just using my real amp heads and few pedals for effects and am going to just an interface and free VST's for recording!

Though on another note, I think the DAR preamp is going to be the best thing coming out for IR's... I can't wait to hear more about it. That and an M9 could be a killer simple rig...

• Members

I actually came across one of your earlier posts on this when I was googling it before I made the thread. I completely agree with you. The toe-activated wah thing doesn't bother me as I've been using it for so long... just got used to it. Shame you haven't used it more though because I wanted your opinion on if the wah's were decent. The wah's on the XT live are more than passable for live use, but I can definitely hear the lacking quality in the models I currently have available to me.

So any thought on why I should spring for the 500 over the 400? Considering I mostly use it for the effects (and will definitely be using the looper) and I don't feel like I will be stacking 8 of those any time soon.

Oh yes, I have used the Wah models quite extensively and found none of them to be especially lacking. I'd happily use any of them full time. I've just always been a fan of switchless wah which is the only reason my 10 year old morley is still on the board. It does the job and I like having the volume pedal there too. I just figured, well, wah plus volume woul necessitate me getting another expression pedal, I just thought nuts to it, just stick your morley back on and you've solved two issues in one hit. Win:win.

The Fasel wah is probably my favourite; if I was suddenly told I had to use that model for the rest of my days I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

Also, DEFINITELY get the HD500 over the HD400. I only use really modest effects myself - effects only for the amp - but I almost instantly found that four banks just wasn't enough. And for the paltry price increase, the HD500 just had instantly a lot more to offer. It's not worth the scrimp IMO.

Like I said earlier - I had always envisioned using the 4CM, but I didn't at first appreciate what it could do for me, namely save board space by kicking off my amp's footswitch and using models for the clean tone. Really, the models are so good, the amount of people who have been amazed at my 6505+'s clean tone, when it's actually a Blackface model with a compressor, flanger, reverb and a clean boost model. It's worth noting that on this same patch on my HD500, I have a few other effects assigned to the other footswitches, namely a delay, volume pedal and a slight overdrive, this patch wouldn't be possible on the HD400. Given the tone I get from this setup, to me saving

Archived