OT: palm mutes.....difference between bridges?

Killzone

• Members

I agree TOM bridges are easy to play now that I've been playing them forever but I remember when I only had strats that it was an adjustment getting used to playing on an LP, so I think it's just more of a what you're used to kinda thing. I also think that there are typically so many variables between a guitar with a TOM and a guitar with a floyd that you're not really comparing apples to apples (unless you're talking about a regular LP vs an axcess etc.). I mean yes, my jackson SL2H sounds very different than my LP but you're talking about completely different guitars. Different scale length, different neck, fingerboard and body woods, different pickups, different body dimensions, pretty much everything. I think the bridge definitely does have a noticeable effect on tone (and certainly feel) but it's not necessarily as drastic as you'd think.

For example I'd think that a track recorded through the exact same setup with a Jackson SL2H vs and SL2HT with same pickups etc. wouldn't be *huge* and likewise with an LP vs. an LP axcess with same pickups etc. Assuming we're talking about a high gain rhythm sound since the OP is about palm mutes.

• Members
TOM bridges are easy to play but if you don't think they sound different than trem bridges I'd say your either deaf or not paying attention.

:idk:

I mean, I dont know that you can quantify a bridge as sounding different. The whole guitar is gonna sound different, for sure. But theres not really a way to swap out a TOM for a floyd on the same guitar and say, oh yeah, they sound different...

• Members

You ever play a tele with a TOM? What about a string through Strat vs Strat with a floating bridge? I'm not saying it's like switching amps or pickups but I've noticed a diffrence, albeit a small one and admittedly negligible to the listener. I know guys who don't like Floyds on Strats because they think it sounds thinner than regular two point.

• Members

You ever play a tele with a TOM? What about a string through Strat vs Strat with a floating bridge? I'm not saying it's like switching amps or pickups but I've noticed a diffrence, albeit a small one and admittedly negligible to the listener. I know guys who don't like Floyds on Strats because they think it sounds thinner than regular two point.

I know exactly what you're talking about and yes, I agree there's a difference for sure. I mean I get bugged about the difference between graphite saddles and regular saddles, so for sure there's a difference with a different bridge IMO. Just meant that often when people are comparing "bridges" they're also comparing a whole lot of other things too.

If you're talking strictly about something like a string-through strat vs. floating bridge than yeah that's a more accurate comparison and there is a difference. I just dunno if it'd be a huge difference on something like palm mutes to a listener in the audience or listening back to a track etc.

• Members

I have. And also ibbys with and without trems, and ESPs with and without trems. I cant notice any discernable difference.

• Members

Weird, I must be in the minority because I greatly prefer my LP and SG for palm mutes compared to a Strat. My Tele is somewhere in the middle of my give-a-{censored}-o-meter. I haven't played a Floyd in years so I don't really remember if I had a preference with them.

• Members

I have a few different bridge types on my guitars so I adapt well from one to the other no problem. I prefer my tune-o-matics though because I can dig in with them a bit more than with a floating trem and I like that the main point is a bit more raised. Then again my first guitar was a Les Paul, so I pretty much grew up on Tune-O-Matic bridges.

Archived