Ugh, I need help with getting my Axe-fx hooked up to my PC

Zacman0126

• Members

okay, so I'm a complete ****** when it comes to midi. I dont understand it, at all.

I've had my Axe-fx standard for, well probably more than a year now and finally decided to get off my ass and get it hooked up to my PC so I can start recording again.

With my Axe-fx I was given some no name midi to usb converter. It has a midi out, a midi in, then those two split into the USB.

Now here is the ultimate noob question: Midi-in / Midi-out of the cable goes to what in the back of the Axe? There's a midi in, out, and through. Halp :cry:

Beyond that I've been told I need some midi program to bridge the gap so I've got midi-ox since that's recommended. I've opened it up but yet again I am clueless as to how to set it up and get it to transmit the signal so my computer.

I can figure my way around computers and programs pretty good but MIDI is like Latin to me.

• Members

You shouldn't need to use midi to record to your pc??

Just use whatever normal output the axe has into your interface.

Well this is what RyGy was using when I bought it off him so I figured this is the way to do it. I also have a firebox, if it's easier to hook it up using that thing.

• Members

MIDI on your Axe is purely for editing/changing patches via the Axe-Edit software or a hardware controller, or for installing firmware updates.

Any recording will need to be done via the XLR or 1/4" stereo outputs on the back. Use the Firebox and one of those cable types (I use the XLR) and then route the Firebox into your DAW.

• Members

Oh FFS, no wonder it hasn't been working then. Ugh, thanks guys!

EDIT: Well actually on that note, I'm trying to get it to work with Axe-edit here anyways, and aren't getting a signal. So yes I'm happy we got the recording aspect figured out, but still need help on the midi issue.

• Members

Well this is what RyGy was using when I bought it off him so I figured this is the way to do it. I also have a firebox, if it's easier to hook it up using that thing.

I can absolutely assure you that no one was recording with MIDI. It doesn't contain any audio information.

• Members

I can absolutely assure you that no one was recording with MIDI. It doesn't contain any audio information.

+1

MIDI is just for patch loading/editing/backup/etc., and firmware updates (which you'll quite possibly never have to do).

To record, you'll want to use either the XLR or 1/4" output 1 jacks, the S/PDIF output, or if for some reason you want to go analogue but are already using the output 1 jacks for something else, output 2 (and set your I/O up so that output 2 is a copy of output 1).

• Members

Thanks everyone, I'll hook up my firebox with some XLR cables to my axe once I get home today and hopefully I can show off my 7-string skills later tonight, maybe FINALLY get in on some of Killzone's drumjams.

Use TRS cables. Not XLR. The Firebox has combo connectors that will accept either. XLR, though, is Mic Level, not Line level. AxeFX output is line level.

Use TRS Balanced 1/4" cables. :thu:

• Members
Use TRS cables. Not XLR. The Firebox has combo connectors that will accept either. XLR, though, is Mic Level, not Line level. AxeFX output is line level.

Use TRS Balanced 1/4" cables.
:thu:

Ah damn, I dont have any TRS, I guess I'll go pick some up over the weekend. For the meantime, what's the lesser evil? 1/4" Vs. XLR?

• Members

Ah damn, I dont have any TRS, I guess I'll go pick some up over the weekend. For the meantime, what's the lesser evil? 1/4" Vs. XLR?

1/4" TS unbal will be 6 dB lower output.

XLR will be wrong impedance/different "response"

Try both, and see which sounds better to you...

• Members

on your cable the midi in would go to the midi out of the axe fx
midi out on the cable to midi in on axe-fx

some people have had trouble with the sysex id not matching on the axe-fx or axe-edit
to get there IO/midi mine is 00 01 74...its under midi settigns in axedit....has to be the same for them to communicate...when you first hook up you will have to select midi ports as well should be 'usb midi in/midi out' something like that ...be aware some midi devices have trouble with the axe

make sure its communicating well before/if you do any firmware updates cause if it {censored}s the bed the axe can die :cry:

• Members

on your cable the midi in would go to the midi out of the axe fx

midi out on the cable to midi in on axe-fx

some people have had trouble with the sysex id not matching on the axe-fx or axe-edit

to get there IO/midi mine is 00 01 74...its under midi settigns in axedit....has to be the same for them to communicate...when you first hook up you will have to select midi ports as well should be 'usb midi in/midi out' something like that ...be aware some midi devices have trouble with the axe

make sure its communicating well before/if you do any firmware updates cause if it {censored}s the bed the axe can die
:cry:

I was thinking to upgrade my Standard and install some IR's but now you made me afraid of this. Really, it can die ? How come ?

• Members

I was thinking to upgrade my Standard and install some IR's but now you made me afraid of this. Really, it can die ? How come ?

Anytime you upgrade a FW for anything you risk Bricking it. Im sure Cliff would be able to help you out if something that catastrophic happened. FWIW. I have never bricked anything Ive flashed in my years of IT.

Archived