Anyone have guitar necks.....

gsxrbusa

• Members

that you have to adjust the truss rod a couple times a year when the weather changes?

I have a few guitars that I have to adjust a couple times a year and others that never move. Does this mean anything or pretty normal? They are pretty high end guitars that do this. :confused:

• Members

Isn't Colorado pretty dry all year round?

But yeah, my Strats rarely need adjusting and Wisconsin has weather as extreme as it gets. My Les Paul might need a tweak here and there. But my Schecter C1-FR seems like the relief never wants to stay where it is.

• Members

Unless I want to make a change, I never have to adjust the necks on my Levinsons. They are amazingly consistent. AND, I live in southern New England. So that should tell you something about their quality. Of course, when they are not being played they are buttoned up in the cases and kept away from heat and stuff.

• Members

Two of my four guitars definitely need truss rod adjustments, twice a year or more depending on how widely the humidity swings. The other two get adjusted between once and twice a year and usually not as much adjustment is required. All my roommate's guitars need adjusting twice a year, all 14 of them. Fretboard woods, neck woods, finish types, etc.--it doesn't seem to matter. Everything is affected.

In Winnipeg it can be quite humid in the summer (the air conditioner also contributes to this), and in the dead of winter the frequently running furnace tends to have the opposite effect. It can be so dry in Winter, no matter what you do with your laundry it ends up full of static.

• Members
Unless I want to make a change, I never have to adjust the necks on my Levinsons. They are amazingly consistent. AND, I live in southern New England. So that should tell you something about their quality. Of course, when they are not being played they are buttoned up in the cases and kept away from heat and stuff.

I have some cheaper stuff that seems to never move. :idk:

• Members

that you have to adjust the truss rod a couple times a year when the weather changes?

I have a few guitars that I have to adjust a couple times a year and others that never move. Does this mean anything or pretty normal? They are pretty high end guitars that do this.
:confused:

Every 5 months or so I adjust all my necks, polish, change strings and spray the electronics. Some guitars don't move that much. Others do.

• Members
Being from Michigan, truss rod adjustments are part of normal maintenance, no matter
how
much the guitar costs.

Ok, cool. Just wasn't sure if higher end guitars use a better truss rod design or material or if the different wood types affect the need for adjustment. I guess it really doesn't matter what type of wood it is.

Maybe 15,000 coats of lacquer hold them together better? :lol:

• Members

I wouldn't be surprised if you had more fluctuations in humidity than you realize. Various factors in your home, in various areas, can contribute to a change in humidity. It's also possible the drier the air is, the less of an increase in humidity is needed for your guitar's necks to move. Then there's the thought that some of your guitars' necks will be under more tension one way or another from the strings and truss rod, than your other guitars; differences in strings, trem or fixed bridge, how much tension the truss rod required for its initial setting, they could all play a role in this even if it's a small one.

• Members

I wouldn't be surprised if you had more fluctuations in humidity than you realize. Various factors in your home, in various areas, can contribute to a change in humidity.
It's also possible the drier the air is, the less of an increase in humidity is needed for your guitar's necks to move
. Then there's the thought that some of your guitars' necks will be under more tension one way or another from the strings and truss rod, than your other guitars; differences in strings, trem or fixed bridge, how much tension the truss rod required for its initial setting, they could all play a role in this even if it's a small one.

Interesting. You make a good point sir. We did have a humid spell this summer which was very odd. We had a {censored} load( well, more than what we are use to) of rain to go with it.

• Members
Yes, every guitar ive ever owned in the last 35 years.
:wave:

Lol. Like I stated earlier. It happens so slowly that I don't even notice it changing and then one day i'm like "WTF is with this POS?" Then I go check all my guitars and notice I need to adjust the rods on half of them. :facepalm::lol:

• Members
Lol. Like I stated earlier. It happens so slowly that I don't even notice it changing and then one day i'm like "WTF is with this POS?" Then I go check all my guitars and notice I need to adjust the rods on half of them.
:facepalm::lol:

Usually once in the spring & once in the fall, here in Missouri we have 110 degress with 100% humidity in the summer and below zero with -20 degree windchill in the winter,
Some years are better/worse than others.

Archived