Turning display upside down

lespaul1964

• Members

I can explain why if need be, but I need to turn a Rocktron Midi Mate upside down, and would like to turn the display so that I can read it. Is that possible for a slightly electrically and mechanically challenged dude??

You can see the Midi mate here:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/closeup/MIDIMATE--Main

What I need is to turn the UTOPIA display upside down. Help please!

• Members

I think mrbrown gave you a good answer. Open it up and see how it's connected. If you're going to do the mod you're going to have to crack it open eventually, anyway. Now, go get a screwdriver!

For real. It's pretty hard to offer advice with out at least a vague idea of the problem.

• Members

If the display connects with a (wire, rather than a printed flex) cable & the display will physically fit when you turn it, you're good to go. If the display is soldered to the card, the only choice is to unsolder it, and make a cable that you can solder to the display & card.

• Members

I opened it up over the weekend. No big deal, just a dozen screws or so. Inside is just one big a** mother board with the screen soldered onto it. Knowing by mechanical limitations I knew I would ruin the pedalboard much more likely than fixing it. So I figured out a way to write things upside down, and it worked out fine. For instance, LEAD I wrote as PV37, and it reads like a weird LEAD, but good enough to know where I am, and so forth. I was able to describe pretty much all my patches this way.

Thanks for the input and suggestions.

• Members

I opened it up over the weekend. No big deal, just a dozen screws or so. Inside is just one big a** mother board with the screen soldered onto it. Knowing by mechanical limitations I knew I would ruin the pedalboard much more likely than fixing it. So I figured out a way to write things upside down, and it worked out fine. For instance, LEAD I wrote as PV37, and it reads like a weird LEAD, but good enough to know where I am, and so forth. I was able to describe pretty much all my patches this way.

Thanks for the input and suggestions.

You could get all macgyver on that {censored} and build an image inverter using some mirrors and chewing gum. Just a suggestion.

• Members

Each character in that display is a fifteen segment LED. It looks like there are eight characters (not including the patch number display), if the spaces on either side of "UTOPIA" are additional characters. If they're soldered directly on the board, then that's a total of 120 connections to move, plus the eight common wires (usually the anodes).

Since the characters are soldered directly to the board, there probably is no additional mounting for them. Even if you desoldered every character and built a wire harness for them, there wouldn't be anything to attach the display to. Also, there probably wouldn't be room to cram a 128 conductor harness between the display and the PCB, unless you wanted to design some sort of arrangement for mounting the display above the chassis.

If it were me, I'd have to be REALLY serious about flipping that display over before I spent that much time and money on it. The reason for needing to flip it over in the first place is probably easier to solve.

Archived