Peavey 3120!!!

scooped-mids

• Members

the 5150 and xxx are great in the fact they both cover similar ground and both are aggression perfected. But the 5150 is the raw side and the ultra series has more refined sound but still being brutal. Sometimes when playing my xxx its really amazing at how smooth and clear it can sound will still dishing out a very pleasing saturated gain. If that doesn't fit your tastes, then I can see someone disliking these amps. Otherwise the ultra series sits very near the top, imo. And when you factor in the price and reliability I'll never understand the PV hate.

Agree 100%. I am a big mesa mark fanboy but with the XXX set on tight and good tweaking I had the qualities I liked about the mark (not the same sound but what I loved about it, tight, precise etc) with some XXXtra sauce for example. And damn that crunch channel. Honestly, it is not that many high end amps are better or worse or something but for my taste what the XXX gives, it is its own game. I tried many that I didn't like and cost more but I'd pay more for the XXX if need be. Good thing they are dirt cheap used.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Give me some settings you guys use for your Jsx red and amber channel. I have a hard time getting the low gain crunch sound I'm looking for on the amber channel. Like an overdriven clean sound.

Keep the gain at around 1-2 and keep all the EQ knobs below 5. Or boost it and use the clean channel. That's what I do. I hate pristine cleans, so a boost in front dirties it up for me

• Members

Keep the gain at around 1-2 and keep all the EQ knobs below 5. Or boost it and use the clean channel. That's what I do. I hate pristine cleans, so a boost in front dirties it up for me

Yeah me too the clean channel is too clean. I think I need a pedal for a boost cause the crunch channel sounds weak when I have it set like that. Also the din cable channel switcher is annoying cause I'd like to get a loop master pedal and set it up so when I switch to the clean channel it would have a district pedal on

• Members

Yeah they {censored}ing should and perhaps add the ability to at last mix different power tubes!!!

• Members

Toshiro have you gig with it? Though I find it the ultra a bit thin compared to the crunch sometimes it fit the mix better. Crunch for the win though!

I'd say that (without knowing the full schematic) if the ultra is based on an addition of one gain stage more and different tonestack values I'd prefer to have it on the amp as the third channel but to be changed back to crunch if I wanted, so clean, crunch, crunch/ultra via switch on the panel.

There is a killer high gain clip (I think nkwright is the user or something like this) on this forum and it is peavey XXX. I'd swear it was crunch boosted or whatever but it was the ultra channel!

• Members

You can actually mod the JSX/XXX to have 2 crunch channels. There isn't a lot separating the designs from what I understand. Honestly even though the Ultra channel thinner, it's nice to have around as it's low mid focused and it helps with helping the amp sit in the mix. If the Crunch channel doesn't sit well with another amp, the Ultra channel will and vice versa. Ultra channel should be thicker though

• Members

That first vid is my old setup, with VTM playing.

I was expecting great things from the Double Cross but all I ever hear is thin horrid nonsense from those amps.

VTM had one for a short time. We couldn't quite jive with it. It is not thin. Its pretty bright though. It sounds like a dump truck, 5150 style. It almost has a Peavey sound to it, but the tone stack is strange. They interact with each other but I don't think they are active. The 2 lead channels are voiced very differently, one is more scooped metal. The other is more rock. Too bad it was over the top aggressive on either. In a mix you'd be hard pressed to tell a difference between all the little switches.

• Members

I played a 3120 yesterday and loved it, really thick with loads of bottom end grunt! Channel one has great cleans, two and three have awesome distortion which doesn't seem as fizzy as a 6505. My only criticism is that the second channel doesnt seem to do a light overdrive, its pretty full-on even with the gain down which means its not that versatile.

I'm looking at the JSX now... can anyone tell me why some seem to have one input whilst others have two (high and low)???

• Members

I played a 3120 yesterday and loved it, really thick with loads of bottom end grunt! Channel one has great cleans, two and three have awesome distortion which doesn't seem as fizzy as a 6505. My only criticism is that the second channel doesnt seem to do a light overdrive, its pretty full-on even with the gain down which means its not that versatile.

I'm looking at the JSX now... can anyone tell me why some seem to have one input whilst others have two (high and low)???

First model had one input..I don't even think it got to distribution before the second inputs were added..however in the promo pics you'll occasionally see the single input.

• Members

Toshiro have you gig with it? Though I find it the ultra a bit thin compared to the crunch sometimes it fit the mix better. Crunch for the win though!

I'd say that (without knowing the full schematic) if the ultra is based on an addition of one gain stage more and different tonestack values I'd prefer to have it on the amp as the third channel but to be changed back to crunch if I wanted, so clean, crunch, crunch/ultra via switch on the panel.

There is a killer high gain clip (I think nkwright is the user or something like this) on this forum and it is peavey XXX. I'd swear it was crunch boosted or whatever but it was the ultra channel!

Nope, don't gig atm. :lol: I was using the crunch for rhythm tones, and the the ultra for leads, but the crunch boosted sounded better for soloing. Right now I have the ultra dialed in for an alternate rhythm tone. Sometimes I feel like the amp is wasted on me, because I only use the one channel. :lol:

• Members

Nope, don't gig atm.
:lol:
I was using the crunch for rhythm tones, and the the ultra for leads, but the crunch boosted sounded better for soloing. Right now I have the ultra dialed in for an alternate rhythm tone. Sometimes I feel like the amp is wasted on me, because I only use the one channel.
:lol:

Honestly I never used to use the Ultra channel on my JSX. I still don't usually. The crunch channels of the Ultra series are what the line is known for. I just recently dialed the Ultra channel in as a secondary rhythm. It sort of mimicks the Crunch channel but isn't as thick and it a little more aggressive.

Archived